iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Growth Pine

Started by Hamajama, September 25, 2022, 09:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamajama

Quite a few years back, a buddy of mine bought a piece of property that had an old house on it--honestly no clue on how to date any of that. He gave me the go-ahead to look and pick through whatever boards I wanted. I ended up hauling off four wallboards, each around 15" wide and 3/4" thick (in the rough) and a fallen 16' ceiling joist a true 2x6. Unfortunately the below photo is the only one I have from back then.

I loaded it up in the back of my Jeep GC and brought them back to the house. I wanted to make something simple and elegant for the house. I decided on a simple side table for the living room. Please forgive me for the water stain on the top.

So fast forward to August of this year. My fiancé and I had recently moved back to GA from VA, and we needed a new dining table. Curiosity got the best of me and I called my friend to see if the offer still stood. I pulled a few more wallboards out and a 4x6 beam (already rotted at the bottom), and vowed to not step into that place again until it had been torn down.

As I mentioned before, the wallboards were 3/4" in the rough. Once I had the base fleshed out, I ripped the wallboards to be able to face joint, plane, and edge joint them.

To beefen up the appearance of the table top--and to add structure--I settled on a drawbored breadboard ends. I didn't have a 3/8" bit, so I took a gamble on a shallow depth to give me a 1/2" tenon. My breadboard, using a similar ceiling joist as before, was simply cut down to the thickness of twice the table top. The sides were cut to length and glued underneath to give a uniform thickness around.

And here's the finished piece. I finished with a satin poly which was finnicky to get an even finish with.

The breadboard tenon was around 2.5" long, and shouldered the tenons at the ends.

We engraved our names on the underside of the table. Our little mark.

firefighter ontheside

Looks great.  I love to build with yellow pine, especially old growth.  I love the color of it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

I love the pine table and I'm glad you took the time to build something special out of those exceptional boards.  Welcome to the forum.
Caveman

Old Greenhorn

Man, Y'all have got some skills! You should have started posting a long time ago. BTW, most of us know where you are, but when you get a chance you should update your profile a little bit so that folks who don't know who you are get the basics. It gives them a better idea of what your perspective is.
 Keep hammering out that beautiful stuff.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

customsawyer

Very nice piece by skilled hands. Love the old tight growth rings.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

That is a very nice table and it will surely become a family heirloom. :)

All of the walls in my Cabin are paneled with old growth SYP that I recovered from my Grandparent's home.  It all has a rich orange color.

Seen behind Danny in this picture.

Another view.

And another.  The kitchen has one coat of sanding sealer.  The walls have nothing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!