iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I feel a little bit like Roy Underhill

Started by Dan_Shade, September 25, 2022, 05:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doc henderson

just need a few more freckles on the backside of the fingers.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

My dad would watch Roy all the time back when I was a kid. I vaguely remember being mostly uninterested and bored. Now, I'd like to watch him all the time too.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

The only reason  I pull a hand plane out anymore  is when I need to make fire starters for my woodstove.  I learned  from watching  Tim the Toolman more power makes everything  easier  ;D. Never watched Roy because  I grew up during a period where power tools were becoming  affordable  and everyone had electricity. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

He taught more about precision and patience, as well as the history of tool evolution.  How was it done as we settled this country?  His sense of humor and puns is in line with mine.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I watch him more for the story telling than for the woodworking.  I do very little of the hand tool stuff he does.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

This is a good interview with him;
Roy Underhill: Still an Agent of Subversion | Popular Woodworking

I knew his faculty advisor at Duke, his master's presentation was more humorous than he lets on.

barbender

I find all of Roy's work fascinating. Go out and chop a tree down in the morning, and have a serviceable piece of furniture or something by the end of the day from it.
Too many irons in the fire

Tom King

I met Roy in the Spring of 1976 (won't bet on exact year).  I had been sent on a wild goose chase looking for someone that sold live edge Walnut slabs.

Walking down the road in Hillsborough, I passed a house where a bunch of people were building shave horses in the back yard.  I walked into the back yard where they were working, and was told they were in a class learning how to build shavehorses.  I think they were all Duke students.  Roy was about to graduate from Graduate school.

He introduced himself, and said he was surprised someone just walking by would even know what a shavehorse was.  The whole thing seemed really strange to me because I had never heard of a woodworking class, and just thought it was something you did when you wanted to, or needed to.

Roy took me in his little house, which looked almost exactly like the set on the Woodwrights Shop inside, and let me handle a lot of the tools, being surprised that I knew what they all were.  He asked me if I was an Eric Sloane freak.  We exchanged a few jokes, and he had me use his spring pole lathe.

I forget where he got all the tools, but it was not a long time collection of his.  I think it came from some other individual, but I don't really remember.  I believe he was getting a degree in Theater.

We shook hands and I went on my way.  I've not seen him since in person.

He's the same character in person that you see on TV.

Dan_Shade

Quote from: aigheadish on September 26, 2022, 10:29:26 AM
Now, I'd like to watch him all the time too.
I have a PBS app on my fire and Roku TVs, there are a lot of his "woodwright's shop" episodes on there. Very little from the early years, but most of the recent ones.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doc henderson

he exaggerated a lot of his injuries and near misses with facial expressions.  there was one he and I think a brother are digging and pulling a stump by hand, and as the case often is, as they stood there in harms way, it flopped back in the hole and he barely was missed.  his suspenders were needed that day. :snowball:

DR Buck

Quote from: Dan_Shade on September 25, 2022, 05:14:49 PM
I feel a little bit like Roy Underhill
I have a few of those sweat powered hand planes.   I keep them under the bench covered with shop dust so no one can find them.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!