iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joinery methods, tools and techniques

Started by Walnut Beast, December 19, 2022, 01:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Lamello, Synonymous with Wood Joining Technology
This is a pretty impressive unit and system. They also make it in a cordless model

https://youtu.be/Zq78cmy_lkY

Three different types from three different machines.
https://youtu.be/m78BZHu-uuA

tule peak timber

FessTool Domino has a similar snap together joint kit for making breakdown furniture. I own the system but have never used it, or even dug into the Systainer box. Seemed like a good Idea at the time as the connecters are really beefy compared to the Lamello system. I use a very cheap version of the Lamello biscuit jointer all of the time. It's my go to for small pieces, end jointing, temporary putting things together. Biscuits used to be the rage, years ago, but with new, fancier machines biscuits have gone out of style. I still use the heck out of mine. The FessTool Domino infrequently and splines produced on a shaper or router table all of the time, whether they be blind or full, I can crank out splines faster than setting up the hand tooling, depending.

I own a Mafell band saw and it cost as much as a small car. Nice tool, but their brand is really pricey. The twin boring hand tool is just too close to the Domino in function, so I probably won't see it in my near future of stuff I don't use. LOL

Sometimes the $99 run of the mill biscuit jointer is just fine. Let me correct myself; MOST of the time it is just fine.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Larry

I've been thinking about making a Arts & Crafts style bookcase for a couple of months now.  The design I came up with requires 24 mortise & tenon joints.  Thought the perfect time to buy a Domino.  My logic behind the decision was I could reclaim floor space occupied by my hollow chisel mortiser and chain mortiser.  I also would have a cool new toy and could partly fund the purchase with sale of the two mortiser's. 

As time went on, I reached out to an acquaintance that had a Domino and asked if I could come and play with it.  We spent a few hours with it, what a great machine.  After a few days of thinking I decided it wasn't right for how and what I build.  I like being in total control.  Work piece clamped down tight and the cutter can only move in one path.

So....I thought I would try another direction.  I built a jig that uses the router to cut the mortise.  Works really well and the next step is to see if I can build a jig for the router to also cut the tenon.  I cut 8 joints using the router which are the small sticks in the center.  I think I would have trouble cutting a mortise in the small stick with the Domino accurately.  The other 16 joints I cut with my hollow chisel mortiser.  I'm glad I played with the router as now I can cut really small mortises.

I also decided I slightly prefer rectangular mortises made by the chisel over rounded ends from a router.

I'm not done on this road as their are two other options that seem extremely attractive.  They are the Multi Router and the Pantorouter.  Both will do things the other machines can only dream about.  Only drawback is $$$$$$$'s. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!