iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

T shed with wood trusses

Started by doc henderson, January 07, 2023, 04:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

hello folks.  anyone have information, plans or links to the old style air drying shed or mill cover shed.  I remember seeing details for a t shed where the posts run down the center and the edges are open span.  I would want it at least 40 feet long.  may put the mill under half and poss. camper on the other half.  14 feet tall.  would enclose some of the ends for stability in the Kansas wind.  I could also make a building and just have trusses cantilever over on long wall to cover the shed.  going to an auction up the street for 1 acre in the county.  It has a 40 x 40 shed, closed in but 12 foot ceilings.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

I'd bet you would end up money ahead to watch for a steel unit.

You may be able to hang cantilevered trusses off the existing building.

nopoint

I built a similar shed a couple years ago. Mine is a row of power poles down the middle set as deep as my skid steer auger would go. I then built small trusses and bolted them to each post. Don't know the exact width but it's designed to hold a stack from each side. Probably only about 10' of clear loading space but no additional bracing. It's about 60' long and survived several storms and a tornado that passed across the road from us. I call it my 1 legged shed... I'm still a bit skeptical but don't have much money in it as I used all rough sawn lumber and used materials. Harder to build than a building with walls or a rectangular post system, so it's not perfect but serves the purpose. Just need another 100 feet.....

Don P

With stuff like that, you aren't sleeping in it and I doubt you are sheltering there in a storm. It's a pretty safe bet it will be the first roof to let go. So the real question is more like a greenhouse... look for a clear debris zone. If you're paying for corn, not a big deal, if there is a Lexus next door ...

doc henderson

went to the auction for the land and building that got me started.  was going to go up to 50K.  1 acre and a 30 x 50 shed with electric LP septic asnd well in the county 2 miles from my house right up the street.  went for 115K.  I saw my Dr. buddy Bob and he said he was not going to bid, he was going to buy it.  he got it for that .  He was getting as it was contiguous with two other properties he owns.  for his daughter and her kids, but will have to build a house.  You can only have one out building on a county lot with a house.  the building had a shouwer and toilet, so can live in the shed.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

I wonder how a two legged T building would work? (more like tt ) I am envisioning something like a row of double power polls that are cross braced.

Run the polls up past the plate to the top of the truss so you can brace the pairs of polls together crossways and lengthwise too. You would end up with a centre bays that could be used for shorter items and/or enclose one or some for dry storage of items like sawmill blades and gear.

moodnacreek

I always wanted a T shed for air drying lumber but don't have a place where I can forklift both sides. At rail road passenger stops you see some very interesting open sheds where people wait for the train.

Don P

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 07, 2023, 02:57:10 PM
I wonder how a two legged T building would work? (more like tt ) I am envisioning something like a row of double power polls that are cross braced.

Run the polls up past the plate to the top of the truss so you can brace the pairs of polls together crossways and lengthwise too. You would end up with a centre bays that could be used for shorter items and/or enclose one or some for dry storage of items like sawmill blades and gear.

Overhanging a braced "core" vs cantilevered from a flagpole, much stronger and easier in wood

Another design, i was playing with footprint for zoning vs covered area.

Rick already had the trusses when I broke the rules and modified them to avoid posts at his mill. If you know going in they can make correct trusses for this.

doc henderson

Don I want the center of the side open but could have posts at the corners.  would a "rim: rafter help to stabilize the roof?  I am now thinking outload and wonder about a building that could cover our camper (13.5 feet tall).  so maybe a tall center room open on the ends for the trailers, and cantilever roof sown each side.  on side open for the mill and the opposite site for storage for wood and maybe incorporate a kiln.  I know this would cut done on natural ventilation for the wood, and maybe fire hazard for traditional kiln, and poss. moisture damage to a larger structure.  Thanks all for the comments.  I hope I have time to build something from these conversations soon.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: doc henderson on January 07, 2023, 01:37:17 PM
went to the auction for the land and building that got me started.  was going to go up to 50K.  1 acre and a 30 x 50 shed with electric LP septic asnd well in the county 2 miles from my house right up the street.  went for 115K.  I saw my Dr. buddy Bob and he said he was not going to bid, he was going to buy it.  he got it for that .  He was getting as it was contiguous with two other properties he owns.  for his daughter and her kids, but will have to build a house.  You can only have one out building on a county lot with a house.  the building had a shouwer and toilet, so can live in the shed.   :)
Doc I think you were dreaming at 50k 😂. The building sounds like it was worth definitely more than 50k and the land with a well, electric and septic worth every penny of 50k. I just sold 1 acre raw land 8 miles out for 44k

Hilltop366

Option... run the truss the 40' way then you have a 40' clear span and no rain or snow melt dripping on you or splashing on lumber & toys ahmm I mean equipment.

Walnut Beast

The bigger the clear span the happier you will be 

Crossroads

I went with a 40' span and wish I had gone 48' 🙈. I'll definitely be building a drying shed in the future to give me a place to store/dry lumber when there is 3' of snow on the ground. I like the idea of running the poles down the center, but. It sure it would work in my area with all of the snow. If there was 10-15" of snow up there and it slipped off of one side, that could get interesting 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

I watched a sawmill show out of British Columbia. They had T sheds to store their lumber but the roof  was V down in the middle . Seeing this post reminded me to ask the you boys why is the roof reversed? Is it to allow easier access for the forklift to move the lumber? 
I want a T shed also Doc, to air dry lumber at my shop 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

I assume a V down the center is to stabilize the roof with no outside walls to do so.

rusticretreater

That style is known as a butterfly, v roof or london roof.  The roof style was popular in Georgian and Victorian eras in London and in the 1950's in America.  The reason for using a V roof is simple, the water can only run off the roof at two points.  If slightly tilted to one end of the valley, you only need a funnel and a downspout instead of guttering all around(for houses).  In workshed settings, you don't have snow sliding off the roof or water dripping/spilling down on you.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Stephen1

That makes a lot of sense, considering they are on the coast of BC, lots of rain happens there. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tom King

I would make that center gutter big enough to walk in, and in one piece with no penetrations.

These come in a bunch of types and sizes.  I bought one for installing a standing seam roof on a very complicated layout.  We had some 40' long valleys.

Wuko 8200 Bending and Hemming Metal - YouTube

WUKO 6200 UBER Uni Bender | In Action - YouTube

doc henderson

I drove past an old gas station today, and thought, that may not be bad, if a guy got some land with the roof that went over the island, with gas pumps.

Don P

The old gas station I worked on a few years ago had wood trusses over the island that had leaked for years. Removed those. The building was block and pour from just after WWII. Something had backed into the building loading bay. The shock transferred through the roof and cracked the opposite wall as well. We tore down and rebuilt the loading bay wall, It has glass and glass doors now. Then there was the night Tom's rear end broke while he was plowing snow  with his dump truck. Woody pushed him into bay 3 but didn't have a real clear view and apparently had his window up cause Tom said he was on the air horns as he hit the back wall and shoved it out a couple of inches. Then there was the DEQ stuff with the pumps and tanks, oh and asbestos, the case of gas smell deodorizer, working in respirators for months... Never a gas station, life's too hard on em, Run!  :D

That said, if a friend has a gas station. We parked the lull in there at night, over the pit, and fixed a lot of stuff. Great workshop, my saw and planer were in a bay. 40 grand on the roof...

farmfromkansas

Have an old pole building my dad built 50 years ago.  Only thing new he bought was the roofing tin.  Old power poles and used lumber.  The way it was built was to put the plates on both sides of the poles, then put 2x8's between the plates to anchor the rafters down.  The plates are all bolted onto the poles, and it has braces every way my dad could think of.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Don P

Lika so? For me that detail came from state college ag building plans.

farmfromkansas

You got it.  We had a big wind one day, and I found that nails just don't hold a building down very well, as I heard a banging going on, and discovered a rafter bouncing up and down on a building I built years ago.  Ran and found a drill and a couple bolts and 2 pieces of angle iron to make a sort of joist hanger.  Building is still there. 
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!