iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedary with 5-6” Soft needles

Started by terrifictimbersllc, February 03, 2023, 09:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Need help identifying. SE Connecticut, About a mile from the coast.
Cedary looking bark. Tree is about 30 feet tall, 1.5 feet diameter or so at the base. Needles are about 5 to 6 inches long very soft.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

terrifictimbersllc

The deodar description says needles are 1-2 inches. Not sure what to make of that.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

beenthere

Am thinking Eastern white pine, if there are 5 needles to a bundle. Can't quite tell in the pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

Definitely not EWP. We have loads of that around here. The needles are thin in one dimension, and 3 to 4 mm wide in the flat dimension, See the photo, and they have a yellow green stripe down the center.

Old Greenhorn

I tried to count the bundles when Dennis put the photos up but it does not look like traditional typical needle bundles for what I can make out. Dennis, can you count specific bundle groups? That would help narrow it down. The group bases seem a little different also. Not EWP for sure, but I could see why you'd guess that.
 I am guessing it's size (height to diameter ratio) coupled with being coastal would lend some good clues. That is a very different microclimate.
popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

terrifictimbersllc

If by bundle groups, you mean how many needles are at each juncture along the stem, I counted three of them and got 19, 21, and 26. 

These needles are very soft and smooth. For example, if you didn't have any fig leaves, and you had to make a cloak to cover yourself up with some of these branches, For the most part, it would be quite comfortable. I wouldn't try that with EWP boughs.

Jeff

My luck would be the worlds worst contact allergy, with minimal swelling. ;)

Ianab

My guess is Japanese Umbrella Pine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciadopitys_verticillata

That's the closest in my "introduced conifers" book anyway.... 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Sure looks like it. Thank you. I'll run this by the customer to see what he thinks. 

Ianab

I figured it wasn't a Nth American species, but it gets planted as an ornamental because of its unusual needles. I have seen a few around NZ, but never looked up what it actually was. A casual glance would just write it off as some sort of cedar.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

First glance without scale of the needles made me think of larch, until I saw that the needles were not on short shoots and that they were several inches long. :D I'd never guess cedar though. Of course what we call cedar here is actually the cypress family or Cupressaceae and not really a true cedar, which is the Cedrus family. True cedar is more needle like, where cypress is scale like. When talking about cedar, when your used to it having scale-like needles, it throws the conversation into confusion. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!