iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pellet stove pellets in short supply?

Started by bitternut, December 08, 2005, 09:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom_Averwater

One of the farmers around here has an ad in the paper for corn for corn stoves. $ 3.00 a 50 pound bag.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Jason_WI

Marketing at its best. Most people have no way of handling bulk corn so they get the convience of it in bags, for a price. No worse than the armfull of campfire wood at the gas stations for $5 bux.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

farmerdoug

I hear you on marketing.  I tried to sell pickles at the market loose and in a quart container.  I was charging 4 for $1.00 loose and 1.50 a conainer, there is 5 pickles in the container.  Most people will take the quart container as they do not like to have to pick their own out. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Burlkraft

Ya learn sumpthin' evry day don't ya???????

That's a lot of pellets..................

I'm sure you know my next question.........

At say 20* F with R19 insulation in your shop.........

How long will a pallet of pellets last you   ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Fla._Deadheader

Is that question regarding LIT or just standby smiley_sombrero smiley_horserider
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

rebocardo

Those pellets on E-Bay sold for $610!  :o

re:how many pellets per bag

4,016 give or take 1,000   ???

The size of a big green pea and weigh about the same.

I saw that this mightbe energy crisis time, so I ordered my wood stove from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company on August. Now I just have to install it ...

Jim_Rogers

One of the fellows who comes over here from time to time, and his friends were going to buy a lot of pellets and store them in a tractor trailer box one of them had.
What they wanted to do was all throw in together and get a good price on buying a lot of pallets so they'd all have enough for the entire winter.
The set up the trailer last August and went to the local supply store and tried to buy enough for all of them to get through the winter.
The supply house said they have to place their order for all the pellets they want for the coming winter in March, and that he didn't expect them to place such a large order that he couldn't help them as their order would have taken a lot of his supply away from his regular customers.
I'm not sure if they are going to do this again this year by placing their order in March or not.
They were talking about the factory in or around Keene, NH as being the only one in the New England area, and that he was running his operation full speed and wanted to expand to meet demand.

And  also, the suppliers were importing some pellets from Canada, and other states further away, to New England.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

exssnelt

I installed a pellet stove in a house built in the late 1700s because I like liked the consistent heat it provided in my parents house.  My parents live 2 doors down from me-all houses on our street are log with siding. I have been remodeling my parents house for the last 20+ years-now its energy efficient, but the house I had was a nightmare. Consistent heat heat only happens in a well insulated house (mine was not). The only room that was warm was the room with the stove. The dealer that sold me the stove assured me the stove would heat my whole house (not even close). In the dead of winter it was 60F in the stove room, and much colder in all the other rooms. We had to order pellets in August to make sure we had a timely delivery.

In summary, if you want to heat one room-they work great. IMO they dont come close to a wood stove. My Dad likes it because there is no splitting, stacking, etc. cut open a bag-load and go. Me, I like more heat.

Jim
If something is worth doing, its worth doing it right!

Rockn H

I was just talking about this with a couple of my freinds that haul pellets out of the plant in Pinebluff AR.  You can go there and buy a pallet ( one ton ) for around $200.  They have no sortage of sawdust, but when my freinds ask the dealers they are delivering to about how much they sell the answer is always that this truckload has already been sold.  It seems that demand is way above supply.  The guy that runs the plant there tells one of my buddies that a pallet should last all winter, and for $200, to fuel it all winter, my friend is thinking about buying one of these high dollar stoves.  To me, being limited to a manufactured fuel surce is not what I would want to spend money one right now. ;D  I see a chance for a large price increase. :D

Ironwood

I am with Roxie, Years ago we bought a fancy Vermont Castings (Their largest wood stove) for our main entry into our 1300 sq. ft. house.   The house is 30 x 30 two story gambrel roof. We insulated the heck out of it when we did a full renovation. The heat naturally convects and the WOOD stove can heat the whole house. I haven't used it for two years (we ran 1000' of 2" pipe) since we got natural gas and had a baby. I need to build a cage around it to protect our 3 year old. I understand the conveinence of openiing a bag but heck, just turn on the furnace! I am not sure any of this is worth it unless you can create your own supply of wood and even then it depends on what your time is worth. I got to the point were I was just buying wood from others. I just decided to turn up the themostat!

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!