iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there such a thing as...

Started by Frank_Pender, February 21, 2006, 10:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

A band blad that can be used in a Woodmizer mill to cut through know metal in a log?
Frank Pender

WH_Conley

Asked the same thing of a sawmill supply company a few years ago. They sent me a bi-metal, stellite, I think 3/8 tooth spacing. Worked, except that there was no gullet for the sawdust. Bright side was that you could start the cut and go eat dinner while it was cutting. One or two cuts and the blade is still hanging in the garage.
Bill

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Well Frank, seein's how you already labled me a wise guy ;D ;D

All of my band blades cut through metal fine.....

They just don't cut through wood very good afterwards! 8) 8) 8)

;) :)
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Frank_Pender

I guess I deserve that, WeeksvillWoodWorx.

I suppose there no such item.  I withdraw the question.
Frank Pender

Corley5

What about the blades for pallet disassembly ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguyver

I've got an old metalworking text book that says if you push hard enough you make enough heat to melt the steel your cutting and the teeth are there to clear the molten metal. Once you have a hot edge the cut is really fast.

:Dmaybe you guys should push harder :D

leweee

Greg....I think that is what Bill was refering to :P
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Corley5

8)  Don't know any more than that  Just what I've seen in the trade mags ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isassi

Since I have had lots of blades made for a summit bandsaw, i know you could get them to fit a bandmill. Clearing the sawdust would be the major factor and the feed rate would be slow. Since I am not a bandmill type  ;D I wonder if it would be possible to only mount the blade when you are at the metal point? Might be worth trying.

gmmills

Frank,

Country Saw & Knife has taken a Bi-Metal blade and ground a wood cutting tooth profile almost identicle to WM 10/30 profile. The name they have given this blade is Wood Hog. Only availiable in .042 thick and 1 1/4". I know of 1 local guy that is using them and raves about their sharp life. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

WH_Conley

gmmills, thats the same blade I use for pine, I get it at Country saw, only problem if you hit metal you only have slightly better luck than with a regular blade. Probably because sawing too fast, metal welds to blade same as with other blades. As far as the edge they are good blades, only thing I have found to cut pine with that I am not constantly changing blades. Biggest drawback I have found is short flex life.
Bill

iain

Frank what exacto are you cutting?

i spent a long time, and lots of money looking and trying,
ended up with a Boron Matrix blade $386 for 17' band

you got to slow the blade (blade speed) right down when you come to the metal
i have used the big metal cutting band saw next door to cut old oak beams with black smith nails and bolts in them, its SLOW going but it was with a normal metal band,

there are a few that will cut but you got to slow the band speed down to cut the iron

worked fine for the job in hand, and the money i got, paid for the extra time and money spent

iain

Thank You Sponsors!