iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cool Hand Luke

Started by TexasTimbers, September 27, 2008, 10:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Paul Newman was one of my favorite actors. Old school. Some of my favorite movies he was in were Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid, Slapshot, The Sting, and I also liked one many have never seen called Pocket Money. Lee Marvin and him were great together in that movie. But as many good movies as he was in, "Luke" was his best role IMO.

My wife and I have a bout a dozen movies we watch, in no certain order when we don't want to watch TV (Pre-Palin days hehe) and we don't want to invest a couple hours in a movie which might not be good. Our trusty old standby's.  The Godfather (and sequels) Goodfellas, Citizen Kane, Once Upon a Time in the West, for example.  Good/Bad/Ugly. Any Spagetti western with Clint. Old Hitchcock Movies (we have a whole collection of those) Some modern ones like Tombstone, O Brother Where Art Thou.

But there are about 3 or 4 that get watched with consistent frequency, like 2 to 3 times a year. The Outlaw Josey Wales, Jeremiah Johnson, and Cool Hand Luke.

What i respected about him as a man and member of society was that although his politics were about 180 out of mine, he never used his Hollywood pulpit to spew his beliefs. He was from the old school. You didn't use the platform that the whole country had given you, to espouse your views. Becuase your money came from people of all walks and beliefs, and to use that was considered dishonorable.

I wish the actors and actresses of today could learn from those old school men and women. Most of the ones we baby boomers like and reveire were liberal also, but they did not try to cram it down our throats. They respected their fans and we respected them.

Paul Newman was class act that walked his talk. He donated millions and millions to the causes near to his heart.

I can eat fifty eggs.  ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Rocky_J

WildDog

This is a real shame, last I heard earlier on in the year he was going to direct "Of Mice and Men", there is a core group of actors movies I like, Paul Newman, Charles Bronson, Steve Mcqueen, The Duke, Lee Marvin, Clint and an Aussie Chips Rafferty.

Paul Newman, great actor, great bloke RIP
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

moonhill

I am sitting at the table having a salad with, that's right . Newman's Own, Ranch Dressing. 
This winter I am going on a western watching binge, I may not come out till spring.   Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

rebocardo

> Paul Newman was class act that walked his talk.

imho, That is the difference between the older actors (Newman, Reagan, etc.), you may disagree 100% with their politics, but, you still wouldn't mind having them over for supper.

pappy19

My favorite Paul Newman film is "Hombre." It's in my top 10 western films.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Haytrader

Do ya'all remember him saying this?

"Shakin it here boss."
Haytrader

DanG

I don't know if any of you saw David Letterman's tribute to Paul Newman a few minutes ago, but I thought it was a thing of beauty.  To me, it brought light-hearted poignancy to a new level.  I thought it captured the way Mr. Newman would want to be remembered in a most appropriate way. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fat olde elf

DanG and I are in complete agreement  on the Letterman tribute to Newman.....Great Job !!   Newman was the real deal.......I also admired his racing exploits.....We usually lose three in a row......Hope not....... 
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

SwampDonkey

Don't forget "Never Give an Inch" ...aka "Sometimes a Great Notion" ;D That movie is hard to get, it's not released on DVD as far as I know.

I'm an old spaggeti western watcher to. I have all of Eastwood's earliest movies. I'm not really a big Newman follower, but I do enjoy a couple movies 'The Sting" , "The Hustler", "Towering Inferno", and "The Verdict". The westerns I kind of like are "Hud", "Hombre", "Cool hand Luke", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid".

I didn't here of Newman's passing before now. Another good actor leaves us.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!