iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Copper naphthenate

Started by Chopchop, October 28, 2008, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopchop

Been doing some reading on copper naphthenate....sounds pretty powerful as a preservative. Is it good enough to paint posts with and then use for ground contact lumber? Could I soak 6x6 posts and put in the ground for a pole barn? Hoping someone on the board has some experience with this stuff. Where can it be purchased?..Lowes?
Thanks

DanG

Welcome to the Forum, Chopchop. :)  I'm afraid I don't have any good news regarding painted on preservatives, except that you asked before spending your money. ;)  The trick to treating wood for rot resistance is to create a barrier deep enough into the wood that oxygen can't get to the untreated wood inside.  From all I've learned, that take's at least 5/8" of penetration to gain any appreciable protection at all.  No amount of soaking will achieve that penetration.  Besides, the chemical purchased at the box stores would be more expensive than to just buy pressure treated posts.

The good news is, if you already have the untreated posts, you can get them pressure treated for a reasonable price.  Ask around at the local lumberyards and you should be able to locate a treatment facility. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bandmiller2

chopchop,anything half way effective has already been banned by the goody goodys,not sure if you can still get the copper compounds.You have to dig holes anyways put a sono tube in it and use cement with an imbeded bracket to hold the 6x6 you will need a little more cross bracing but have a lasting shed.Next best get some honest to goodness utility co. treated poles and use them.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dodgy Loner

A little research indicates that copper naphthenate is still available, but there's no way you could get it at a place like Lowe's.  A chemical supplier would be your best bet.  However, dip-treated 6x6's, as the others have indicated, is a bad idea.  You need to find a pressure treatment facility.  Merichem, which produces copper naphthenate, states that dip treatements can be used for thin, non-ground contact woods such as shingles, millwork, and pallets.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Chopchop

Thanks for your responses, I knew it was too good to be :-\ true

DanG

Don't despair, Chopchop.  Things that seem too good to be true are usually not.  BUT, you've found the Forestry Forum, and it ain't thataway at all. ;)

Now pull up a stump and tell us about that sawmill you've got. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chopchop

I'm pretty excited actually. We just bought a Woodmizer LT-15, delivered last Sat. Plan to put it together this weekend. We live in Spring, Tx and our farm is in Huntsville, Tx so we only get up there on weekends. I know right where I'm going to keep it on the property.....I'll rig up a tarp shelter this weekend to keep the weather out. I'll be milling lumber just for use on the farm (thats the plan anyway) : 3 rail fences, sheds, pole barns, small "casitas" for visitors, etc. I'm loaded with beginner questions that I'm sure many will find amusing!!  I plan to space them out a bit and not drop them all at once!
Good quote from Dick Cavett btw, I'll use that on my wife and daughter.

DanG

As my old Friend Tom would say, and likely will, "Good Show!" :) :)

As for the quote, it sums up the way I feel pretty DanG well. :D

Whitworthsocket

Chop Chop
In Australia copper napthanate used to be used in the beekeeping industry to treat the pine bee hives Before an paint undercoat ant paint topcoat where applied.
Regards Whitworth

Thank You Sponsors!