iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-classic firebrick corrosion

Started by spankyreal, September 20, 2009, 07:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spankyreal

Does anyone have pics of corrosion behind the firebricks?  I removed mine and did not notice any corrosion but was wondering if the "red" stuff was from the brick or the initial stages of rust.

JJ

if it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck  :D
If it doesn't look like rust, then it is likely the fire brick.
What happens if you scrub with wire brush?

MudBud

I will post some pics of that soon.  More than likely its not rust, it could have been the cement they used to install them.  All mine were removed today based on a notification to the dealer to remove them.  They fear the bricks will hold the creosote and thus moisture.  When replacing the firebox today all the bricks were removed.  None of the 2009 and 2010 models are coming with them.  This includes the sidewalls and the area near the air holes on the bed of the wood chamber.  The only bricks needed are in the reaction chamber.

spankyreal

I scraped at it and it appears to be the brick.

My dealer only said to remove the sidewall bricks.  I do not believe him as he has been no help since day 1.  Please advise if the brick at the bottom of the firebox should be removed.

Thanks

beenthere

If it helps, I took some pics of the inside of the new E-classic when at the Logging Congress earlier this month.

The firebrick was on the bottom.

The company man said they have stopped putting the firebrick up the sides, as it was only done initially at the insistence of EPA, for their approval. Not needed there because there is water behind the steel sides. The water keeps the steel cool, so there is of course some creosote there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MudBud

The firebricks near the side holes are now removed so they dont buildup that creosote shelf.  This was done by my dealer yesterday after replacing the firebox, which he received notice from CB to remove all the bricks in the chamber.

Also based on that picture and seeing the red bricks on the bottom of the reaction chamber, this model has the new firebox as this was how mine was installed yesterday.  Also CB is saying that the firebox and the ceramic looking plates on top are all wear items.  Each of the side pieces that house the bars going across are about $35 each.

spankyreal

just so I am clear per this picture the bricks at the bottom of the firebox (as shown) are to remain?

MudBud

Only the white colored ones remain as they protect the firebox area from too much direct heat.  the red ones on the side were removed by my dealer this past weekend as they received a note from CB they are not needed.  Removing them will make it easier to clean and help the wood not bridge easily.  Also he told me he has experienced all lengths of wood and the best he has found to burn easy and not bridge are 24" pieces.   

Tim Crowley

So, I wanted to hear more about the "rust-looking stuff" as I have the same thing.  At the back of my fire box, I notice this red stuff.  Looks like rust but seems unlikely.  Looks more like brick dust.  I'd sure like to know if anyone else has had brick dust gather in the fire box.  If it's brick dust, I'm not too freaked out about it.  If it's rust, OMG.  What do you all think?

MudBud

Its a combo of firebrick dust and creosote, I saw the same as I was cleaning the thick creosote out and removing all the bricks.  I would never expect seeing rust in the area.

JJ

I think I know what you are seeing now.
I see brown to orange flaking creasote after a big dose of ashtroll.

JJ

spacedog

Keep an eye on that corrosion.  Classic had to replace my entire boiler in April after running it only three months last season.  The corrosion behind my fire bricks was so bad it sprung a leak on the left side of the fire box.  Have to say that they did not give me a hard time.  One phone call to my dealer along with a video I made of water leaking on my fire and they agreed to replace it no questions asked.  It was still a pain in the you no what to pull the unit and put a new one in after only three months.   I have some good pictures if your still interested but I can't seem to get them to post.  Email me if you want @spacedog0232@aol.com  and I'll send them direct.

ral

Now looking back at e-classic issues, bought last year and just started using this Oct. 1st. I have not had any issuses and the unit has been working fine since I first fired it up. I have all the fire bricks installed and the Dealer didn't say anything about removing any. He said if they fall off the side just take them out it isn't a problem. After seeing the picture of the new firebox design it apperars the air holes point up and mine are pointing horizontally, blowing towords the other side. Should I remove all the brown fire brick on sides and bottom of fire box? Would the heat transfer be better? My dealer also has not installed very many e-classics.

Thanks,
Randy

spacedog

Ral,

If you have fire bricks on the side walls of the fire box remove them ASAP.  You will increase the chance for corrosion significantly.  My first unit rotted throught the steel under the bricks in three months. 

ral

Thanks Jim,

I will be having a discussion with the dealer, I am also seeing this brown material which most says it is a combo of brick dust etc. MIne is just in the back of the unit, but am worried it could also be rust being I didn't see it until I dug through the coals and creosote. Am suprised I received a new manual and CB didn't say anything to me about the brick. I will look at the pictures you sent at work, (SHHHHH) can't get dsl and won't pay for cell or sat. at home.

ral

Got all the bricks on the sides removed today, came off easy. Haven't removed the slanted ones on the side yet at bottom, might wait until spring. I seen no corrosion behind thee bricks, glad to see that.
Thanks for the pictures Spacedog.

Thank You Sponsors!