iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Splitter

Started by DaveP, April 09, 2010, 10:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveP

I have been told by a local dealer that the vertical shaft engines don't hold up on log splitters.  Has anyone had problem with them?

Woodcarver

I have one that I've used for more than ten years.  The only repair has been to replace cracked primer bulb.  Obviously not related to the fact that it is a vertical shaft engine.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

nixon

About the only knock that I've heard on vertical shaft engined splitters is that the pump hangs down and could be more prone to damage while towing/moving around  .
I had an MTD for 9 years before I bought something else . I never had a problem with the engine other than cracking the oil fill tube with a log . That was down to Me ,not the engine design .
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

Magicman

Every lawnmower that I have ever owned has had a vertical shaft engine.  I would be very suspect of that dealer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DaveP

The dealer I talked to dosen't sell a splitter with a vertical shaft engine.  He says they are ok on lawnmowers but need a counter weight on the splitter engine.  I think I will go with the verticle shaft TroyBuilt.  Thanks for the replies.

01crewcab

I own a 26 ton Troybilt splitter. I think you'll be happy with your selection. I split mostly Doug Fir, Maple and Alder. Never had a problem so far.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Magicman

Yup, so far.....so good with mine.....and it has that dreaded vertical shaft Honda engine........ :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=41952.0
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John R

I have a Husky from TSC with a vertical shaft engine and have never had any problems at all, been going strong for 5 years now.
I split about 15 cords a year.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

bill m

That's why they are no good - he doesn't sell them. So what is the counter weight for? To make it heavier for you to move around by hand?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

trapper

The counterweight.  On a push lawn mower the blade is used as a counter weight and has an alumin flywheel.  On other applications they need a cast iron flywheel for weight.  As far as I know the horizantal engines all have a cast flywheel. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

footer

Thats right. Not all vertical shaft engines have a heavy fly wheel. If the engne was intended to be used on a lawn mower, they have light weight flywheels, and the blade acts as part of the flywheel. If your intent is to power a logsplittter, or other type device, you need a heavy flywheel engine. So, if you buy a logsplitter manufactured by a reputable company, you could be pretty certain they are using a heavy flywheel engine. If not the engine would die as soon as the engine got loaded down. If you are buying a replacement engine for a splitter, or building your own, just make sure you get one with a heavy flywheel.

Buck

John R, does your husky have those open channels for slides on the beam for the wedge?  How does that work out? Looks like a good place for wedged wood problems?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

WH_Conley

I have a Husky, got to watch for splinters building up under the cylinder. Potentially could bend a cylinder. No problems yet. Knock on wood.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!