iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

time before getting to kiln

Started by woeboy, May 28, 2010, 12:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woeboy

Hello all,
I have a customer that wants to buy some green longleaf pine lumber from me and kiln dry it. I just A.D. all my lumber so i have no idea how long after milling it i need to get it to his kiln.(  ??? or if it even matters :D)
The timber is being cut down one week before we arrive onsite, and being down here in Florida I am worried about the heat and humitity.

Thank you for the responses,
Jason

red oaks lumber

if all you are doing is suppling him with green lumber the heat and humidity is his concern, but only being 1 week you might be ok.. so pitter patter you best get atter...
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

The green logs and lumber will blue stain very fast.  If the logs are down a week already, you don't have much time at all before needing to get the green lumber in the kiln.  I would suspect less than a week at most.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woeboy

thx for the info, i did tell the customer we would get it to him before any blue sets in. The trees have not been cut yet, he said he would call when they started, I was just trying to figure if I needed to make a couple trips or I could saw it all up then send it off all at once.

Is there anything I could do to delay the stain (onsite) after it's milled? If the trees are down a week before i start and a week to 10 days to mill, will stain be starting by then? :P

thanks again
jason

red oaks lumber

the biggest thing,get as much air flowing thru your stickerd lumber pile as possible.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Sticker the lumber immediately after sawing in an area that is covered.  If you do not have a shed, do not cover with a tarp unless the tarp is suspended several feet above the stack.  The stack needs to be free on all four sides of walls or obstructions that will inhibit air flow.  A box fan to keep the air moving will help.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Doug_D

warning:  Newbie question:
What exactly is blue stain?  Why does cutting pine apart and stickering it prevent blue stain?
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Doug_D

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Thank You Sponsors!