Sponsors:

1st Bowl Turned

Started by Mooseherder, December 21, 2010, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

I turned my first Bowl tonight.
This piece was slated for the firepit but got upgraded to Bowl status. ;D

fishpharmer

Turning is something I always wanted to try.  Good for you MH, you did a fine job.  Anyone would be proud of that bowl.  Looks like a little spalt?  What species?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

This was a tree someone put out on their front by the road for the County to pick up.
The bark looks similiar to Mahogany but I can't be positive as there wasn't any leaves on the pieces.
I usually pick this stuff up for my firepit ring.  The pieces weren't that big.  I think this was from the Butt end.
It does have some nice markings that look a little like spalting.

SwampDonkey

Looks nice.  8) Did you put any mineral oil on it? Need some more apples and bananas to place in it.  ;) Fun to experiment with different shapes and woods.  :)

That beech I just turned, turned into an oval shape. The first oval shaped bowl off a lathe. :D It did not split, but some small surface checks in the end grain. Conversation piece. "How did you turn that oval shape?" :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I'm expecting it to split.  It is still wet.
Didn't have any mineral oil so I used some Minwax natural stain.

Norm

Reddog

Woodwalker

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 21, 2010, 09:41:45 PM

This piece was slated for the firepit but got upgraded to Bowl status. ;D

I've had several that went the other way, started as a bowl and got downgraded to firewood.

Nice bowl.
I have rough turned some pieces and then packed them in a paper sack covered with the shavings for a couple of months.
I microwaved some dry bowls in short bursts, got a few of them flexible enough to clamp in a vice till they cooled and they would hold an oval shape. Most of these ended up as firewood.  
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Burlkraft

Nice job Glenn  8)  8)  8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Warbird

Someday, I'm going to have to get a small lathe.  Sure looks nice, MH.  :)

metalspinner

Kewl! :)

You will not pass up any pile of wood on the side of the road now. :D  Down in FL, you have all kinds of fun stuff, too, that the rest of us do not have.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Patty

Oh dear, you are hooked now! Never again will you look at a piece of wood without wondering how to work it on the lathe!

Great job, I really like your bowl.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Radar67

Good job on the bowl moose. Fish, I'll let you give the lathe a go when you come to visit. ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Magicman

Very nice !!!  Looks like you weren't 'fraid to start with a big un.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Thanks everyone. :)
It's not as big as it may look, probably a little larger than a cereal bowl.
I can't wait to get home tonight to turn #2.  ;D

Burlkraft

Yep...There is no hope for you now  ::)  ::)  ::)

Yer hooked and it'll just get worse from here on out  :D :D

Mooseherder

Just Finished #2.
It looks like the udder one but not really. :D
Y'all didn't warn me about all da shavings. :o

Burlkraft

Reddog

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 22, 2010, 08:41:29 PM
Y'all didn't warn me about all da shavings. :o

They can go in the fir pit. ;)

SwampDonkey

I know what you mean by shavings. I shove a bunch in the shop stove in the mornings. Those dry shavings are like kerosene .....Whooosh!

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Goodting I got me a far pit. :D
I got a garbage bag full.

SwampDonkey

When I was turning at the beech bowl the shavings came off that blank 2 feet long like curly ribbons. Stuck to me like burdocks.  I thought I just came out of a wedding.  ;) :D

northwoods1

Quote from: metalspinner on December 22, 2010, 10:02:58 AM
Kewl! :)

You will not pass up any pile of wood on the side of the road now. :D  Down in FL, you have all kinds of fun stuff, too, that the rest of us do not have.

Help please educate me somebody... :D does mahogony grow in Florida or where mooseherder is? If so what kind of mahogony?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Glen started a garden full of them a few years back. ;D

Nice bowls.  8)

Mooseherder

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 23, 2010, 06:55:14 AM

Help please educate me somebody... :D does mahogony grow in Florida or where mooseherder is? If so what kind of mahogony?

Here is a lil story of the Mahogany we can grow down in South Florida.
It's time for me to update that thread with some growth pictures soon.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,24575.0/all.html

northwoods1

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 23, 2010, 05:47:26 PM
Quote from: northwoods1 on December 23, 2010, 06:55:14 AM

Here is a lil story of the Mahogany we can grow down in South Florida.
It's time for me to update that thread with some growth pictures soon.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,24575.0/all.html

Well that is really interesting! :D :) I haven't finished reading that thread yet, but I sure will. Looks like the wood you have is fairly fast growing. I am wondering does it seem very hard?  :)

Lud

Those look good!

You know you can make the ladies happy by giving them your wood bowls.  I haven't met a woman yet who doesn't appreciate good wood bowls. :) :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

metalspinner

There is also lots of other stuff growing down there.  Any fruit tree has beautiful wood - sometimes very dense. 

Mooseherder

Got the garage clean today as planned and decided to get it dirty again. ;)
This time the Bowl deserved a lid.  My daughters got the last 2 bowls.
I think they'll want lids on theirs also.  This one is for my wife.

The Plastic Fan that cools the motor as come apart.  It is the type that looks like a paddle wheel and just rides on the back of the shaft.   I had to finish the job and let the motor cool down after a few minutes of turning.  Here is a picture with the cover off.  Do you know if these plastic fans are available?   
If not, I'll turn one. ;D

SwampDonkey

Lids are a nice addition to a bowl, especially the ones hiding the candy.  ;D

Mooseherder

The lid has warped some but I don't mind.  
Gives it some character.  Besides this is kinda like therapy, or practicing it. :D
I've got to learn to dry though for some of the future masterpieces.  ;D
My junk drawer in da garage may have something for me to put on the end of the shaft to cool the motor some.
I'll fabricate sumpthin this weekend.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I found that beech not air dried down to 12-16% shrinks a lot across the grain giving a nice warped bowl. That beech bowl didn't split, but it would remind you of your first bowl turned on a clay turning table. :D  8) I knew it would move, actually thought it would split apart.

Peter Drouin

[img] http:// 8) 8) One I tried :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jim king

I have no experience there but I believe that Big Leaf mahogany was planted there long ago as ornimentals "Swietenia mahagoni" and Cuban Mahogany is natural to the Keys.

Peter Drouin

The 1 and2 are soft maple and 3 is cherry just fooling around :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

some I have cut ahead :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Mooseherder

Very nice Bowl and collection Peter. :)
My last 2 are destined for firewood.

SwampDonkey

Pete, better get turning.  :D ;D  :)

Those red/silver maple blocks and bowls have some interesting heart stain.  8)

WDH

Peter,

What species are you favorites?  If I was to saw some bowl blanks for local wood turners, what would you (and others) advise?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

Quote from: WDH on January 24, 2011, 09:52:22 AM
Peter,

What species are you favorites?  If I was to saw some bowl blanks for local wood turners, what would you (and others) advise?

Figured blocks are the best  ;D

Burls are better. Any burl will do, maple, cherry, redbud, redwood, yellow cedar, walnut, pecan, mesquite...you get the picture  :D  :D

You had better send me a few and I will test them and report back to you!  ;D  ;D

Mooseherder

Here is my inventory of possiblities. :)

metalspinner

QuoteIf I was to saw some bowl blanks for local wood turners, what would you (and others) advise?

WDH,

Crotch wood is always a beautiful choice.  Some woods hold together better than others, but I have never had luck with oak crotch.  Maple, cherry, and especially walnut behave well.  Sometimes I try to seal up the crotch figure with anchorseal, but often times will just take a chance.

The out of the ordinary is always interesting.  Odd-ball species like mulberry, redbud, dogwood, etc are always fun to show off.  A game played by most turners is to confound your friends as to the species of your bowl. :)  Then they immediately ask, "Where did you get it."

Lud

I cut a lot of turning blanks and I cut them round on the bandsaw.   I made 1" wide rings out of old plywood and attach to the block with 2 screws for a cutting guide; also my hands are safer.  I date them  and mark species with marker and seal cuts to end grain with Anchorseal.  Those corners get collected  and are prized by the woodstove crowd.

Cutting blanks round gives a cleaner, trimmer block that takes less wax to seal and dries quicker.  The data cuts the guessing down in the future. 

The problem is the outreach to turners.  I'm thinking of outreach to local turning clubs would be worthwhile.  If they come to you , like what they see, and fill up their trunks with dollar a pound blanks, they will save on shipping . Got your own website? 

I'm not going to try selling door to door!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Good advise lud. You couldn't do it door to door in these parts, they are scarce as hen's teeth and the well advertised fellows do their own wood. It would have to be a real special piece for them to buy, the rest of the ordinary stock would sit on the shelf.

Peter Drouin

Yes any odd wood or special wood and any kind .some wood I think is junk someone loves it ?? .I dont know. Im just doing outher things with the WM. like 6 side lite post. or gunstock post for old barns  8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Mooseherder

We picked up some Olive tree wood on the side of the road after asking the guy for permission.
Turns out it was the City who had cut the tree down because they'll be widening the turning lane.  It was a monster.  It had a lot of Carpenter ants in it but I brought my lil Homelite XL and cut a few pieces to try and turn.
This bowl is #4 and I broke the Lathe belt last night while gouging inside the bowl.  Tried to get a belt at 3 different stores today with no luck.  I improvised with some of this small blue rope and a trusty ol' Butcher knot. ;D
I got to finish digging the innerds, sanded and finished with walnut oil.
It's going north to Georgia for a Birthday present. ;)

SwampDonkey

That's a nice bowl. Like the rope belt. ;D

You picking up some pecan up there in GA?  ;D 8)

Mooseherder

Sure would like to but work keeps getting in the way.

WDH

Glenn,

I've got your pecan!  All you want, no hurry ;D.

Mooseherder

Cool!   Looking forward to a road trip. :)

Thank You Sponsors!