iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Centrifugal Clutch

Started by Dieselman, April 12, 2013, 01:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselman

I have two chainsaws: an older Poulan 16" and a fairly new McCullough 18".  I have just finished taking down and cutting up a 110' tulip poplar with a trunk diameter of 26".  Toward the end, the clutch on the McCullough appeared to start to slip.  There was some smoke coming from around the vacinity of the clutch.  I did sharpen the chain several times during this job.

I took the saws apart to clean and service them.  I even took the clutch off which raised the following questions:

1. Is there any friction material on these clutches when new?  I don't see any friction material at all, just slightly pitted metal.
2. If you were replacing the clutch, would you replace the drum as well (may not be able to get one of these for this saw).
3. Do clutches need to be replaced often?

Thanks.

Tom

beenthere

A friend of mine seems to go through clutches pretty fast. I think it is because he teases the rpm's through a cut. Doesn't open up the saw throttle wide open, and therefore gets a slipping mode which wears the clutch out quick.

Can't seem to get him to go WOT, as he knaws away at the wood.  ::)

No idea if this is related to your situation. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dieselman

Not guilty on that count.  I run either WOT or idle; nowhere in between.

However, I may have gotten too eager when the going got tough.  After all, I was using an 18" saw on a 26" tree.

Al_Smith

There is no lining on the clutch .A few ancient Stihls used a lining but they are probabley 45 years old .

As far as McCulloch I can't say because the newest one I have is circa 1990 and the oldest 1958-59 .The McCulloch of today is not the McCulloch I grew up with because they had massively large clutchs .

thecfarm

Seem like to me the springs go to pieces on the clutch. I've had my saw for years and have only gone through one. Just about time for it to happen again,I betcha.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dieselman

I went by our local chainsaw dealer today and he looked at the clutch.  Like you said, thecfarm, he checked the spring and said the clutch was worn, but it is still serviceable.  That's a good thing, because the clutch and drum appear to be no longer available.  The McCullough name has been sold more times recently than my 30 year mortgage.  My particular McCullough was made in Taiwan. 'Tis a pity because the engine is really powerful and cranks very dependably.

thecfarm

chainsawr is a sponsor on the left. He might be able to help you or point you in the right direction. Must be McCullough forums out there too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

two-legged-sawmill

Hello Desielman, Parts maybe available, do you have a model number? That is critical when looking for parts. If you do have a model number .I'll look for availability. Dan
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Thank You Sponsors!