iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

? about leaving wood in a solar kiln.

Started by Compensation, August 01, 2013, 09:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I have a 8x12 solar kiln and sometimes all I see is a empty 8x12 storage shed. So I was thinking about leaving a nice stack of wood in there for a while that I could pick from for projects. I pondered on covering the polycarb with white painted or galvanized tin. Also thought about wide open vents (I have 8 that are 6x16 I think). So now I figured its time to stop thinking before I end up with a load of cupped wood and ask the pro's if its a bad idea all together or what other strategy might work.

Ohh, red oak, cherry, and hickory is what I would pop in there BTW. Thanks!
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Ianab

My understanding is that wood can remain in the kiln indefinitely once it's dry. Because it gets that cool and humid "re-conditioning" phase at night it simply can't dry much more than about 6% MC, no matter how long it's in there.

You can "overdry" wood by subjecting it to extreme conditions, but a solar kiln simply wont do this, and the wood won't cup or otherwise misbehave just because you dry it from 8 to 6%. So you can treat it as a storage shed, with a big skylight.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tyb525

I would like to have a storage shed that also keeps the wood dry.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree with Ianab...the kiln with closed vents and no fans makes a great dry storage facility.  However, if you claimed a tax deduction for the kiln, as a piece of 10 yr equipment, make sure you do use it as a kiln.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Compensation

Thanks Lan and Gene. It sounds like unknowingly I picked the right kiln for me then. There isn't any business loan on it. I forget what it cost to build it but somewhere under $1000. That's concrete to shingles and solar panels to fans. Nothing too special, some unfinished pics are in kiln pics at the top of this page.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

pineywoods

I have been doing just that for years with no problems. I tend to leave the lumber in the kiln until I need it, or I need the kiln for another batch. Just turn off the fans.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!