iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bread Slicer

Started by 21incher, February 04, 2014, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

For Christmas I got my wife one of those stand mixers with a dough hook.  Ever since we have enjoyed fresh bread daily. The only problem was neither one of us could slice it evenly without hacking it up so I designed a bread slicer that is ambidextrous ( because I am left handed and she is right handed ) and allows us to get a perfect slice every time. It will slice from 0-1 inch thick and even works on soft hot bread.

It consists of a guided bow knife, a cutting board and a couple of removable guides for round loaves

The vertical guide is mortised into the base

The saw has a guide slot with about .010" slip fit on the guide

You just load the bread, slice it with a razor blade bread knife, then slide it forward the thickness you want and a perfect slice every time. I posted a pic on Facebook and it looks like I will have to build many more for next Christmas.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Good idea. We got a knife like that,but no stand for the bread.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mmartone

Did you use an old woodmizer blade? ???
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Magicman

You solved the problem with some neat craftsmanship.  ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

wow that is a great idea! it looks great!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sprucebunny

That's a great set up !
I keep imagining the sound different woods would make as you sawed back and forth. Guess most people would be hearing/smelling the bread ???  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pineywoods

Neat.. 8) I'm bookmarking this thread. Wife has one of those automatic bread makers that she never uses. I LOVE home-made bread. Maybe one of these would encourage her... Only problem, I don't have any maple. Wonder how cherry or sycamore would work ?
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

lowpolyjoe

WDH

Go with the cherry unless you like your bread slices with a twist  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Good design and beautiful construction.  Nice job on the pictures also...I can almost smell the fresh bread here. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Quote from: mmartone on February 04, 2014, 05:30:05 PM
Did you use an old woodmizer blade? ???
Good idea. For one of the first crusty loaves we could have used one. The blade was from a knife that was given to me as a gift years ago. Now that I have to make more slicers for friends I am trying to find a source that is affordable for a couple dozen more.
Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2014, 05:44:50 PM
You solved the problem with some neat craftsmanship.  ;)
The first attempt was not so neat it looked like a giant coping saw that moved along the bread and could not cut a perfect slice every time. Needless to say my frustration was relieved watching it burn in my wood stove. The simpler the better.
Quote from: sprucebunny on February 04, 2014, 06:12:32 PM
That's a great set up !
I keep imagining the sound different woods would make as you sawed back and forth. Guess most people would be hearing/smelling the bread ???  :D
Lately I try to incorporate as many different type of woods as I can into each project and I know that these 3 trees were growing alongside each other in my yard so I figured I would keep them together.
Quote from: pineywoods on February 04, 2014, 07:47:31 PM
Neat.. 8) I'm bookmarking this thread. Wife has one of those automatic bread makers that she never uses. I LOVE home-made bread. Maybe one of these would encourage her... Only problem, I don't have any maple. Wonder how cherry or sycamore would work ?
The cherry should work. I made the saw handle of cherry and If I did not have the maple and walnut scraps the whole slicer would most likely be cherry.
Looks like one of my next projects is going to have to be a outside wood burning bread and pizza oven.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Tom L

that's a great idea, and the craftsmanship is perfect

can't wait to see your pizza cutter!

Dave Shepard

Next, you need to add an adjustable log, er I mean loaf stop, and a double cut blade so you can cut on the return stroke of the carriage. :D And maybe a roller outfeed table.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

21incher

Quote from: Tom L on February 05, 2014, 09:36:55 AM
that's a great idea, and the craftsmanship is perfect

can't wait to see your pizza cutter!
Here is the ash & zebrawood pizza peel I built a while ago that I use with my grill.

Holmes

That is EXCELLENT  I really like the log stop. 8)
Think like a farmer.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: 21incher on February 05, 2014, 08:15:47 AM
...  Now that I have to make more slicers for friends I am trying to find a source that is affordable for a couple dozen more.
e one of my next projects is going to have to be a outside wood burning bread and pizza oven.

You might want to check this source: http://www.sawbladeexpress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?item_no=089-R303-32&CatId=17c449bd-8c84-4c45-a925-7a7e972c1afe They sell a 32 pack of blades for $43.00

Be sure to check their home page for special discounts. They currently list a 10% holiday discount. When I ordered the discount did not work but I emailed them after ordering and they gave me the discount.

The blades are really sharp.

I like your design even better than the one I was planning to make. This has moved up on my To Do list...

Herb

Lud

That's a nice piece of equipment you made!  I've made a few peels over the years.  If you do build the outside pizza oven you'll want a lot longer handle! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Dave Shepard

With blades that cheap, you could mount 20 of them on one handle and do the whole loaf at once.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

21incher

Herb thanks for the link. My blade is 10 3/4" overall with 10 1/4 between the holes, sawblade express list their blades as 10 1/4" long. Could you please check the between hole distance on them? Thanks. One thing you will want to do is locate the mounting screws so there is some tension on the blade to get a really straight cut on soft hot bread.
Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 05, 2014, 02:37:17 PM
With blades that cheap, you could mount 20 of them on one handle and do the whole loaf at once.
It seems that is what the blades are made for. They are used in commercial bread slicers. That would be scary to use as the blades are razor sharp.

Busy Beaver Lumber

21incher

I love your bread slicer. Very nice piece of craftsmanship and very practical. I may have to make a scaled down version of that for my 27 year old daughter. She has one of those bread machine and is always treating me to one bread or another. I bet she would really like something like that.

Don't forget the bagel holding attachment, like the wood bagel slicers you see in the stores, that would allow you to use the same blade setup to safely, and consistently cut the bagel precisely in half. 

You do some very nice work there my friend. Now you need a cnc to cut your parts for you when you go into mass production. :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

21incher

Busy Beaver Lumber.
Thanks for the compliment. That CNC sounds better everyday. I built a CNC plasma table a couple of years ago that was going to also be a router, but the plasma turned out to be so dirty that it just is not practical. So lately I have been thinking about building the router as I already own copies of all the cad, cam, and machine control software plus I have a extra set of servo motors. The only problem is I really don't like to build anything more then once. But now it seems that may have to change since I have requests. Once you get used to fresh bread toasted you will never return to bagels.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: 21incher on February 05, 2014, 02:59:24 PM
Herb thanks for the link. My blade is 10 3/4" overall with 10 1/4 between the holes, sawblade express list their blades as 10 1/4" long. Could you please check the between hole distance on them? Thanks. One thing you will want to do is locate the mounting screws so there is some tension on the blade to get a really straight cut on soft hot bread.

I just measured the ones I received. Overall length is 10 3/4" and distance between centers of holes is 10 1/4". Width of blade at widest point is 3/8" and yes, they are very, VERY, VEERRRYYYY sharp.

Thanks for the tip on tensioning the blade.

Herb

Red Good

We had a bread knife when I was a kid growing up . Blade looked like that and it had a chrome bar that allowed you to cut 1/2 inch slices . Yours looks much better  . Nice work . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

21incher

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on February 05, 2014, 08:27:22 PM

I just measured the ones I received. Overall length is 10 3/4" and distance between centers of holes is 10 1/4". Width of blade at widest point is 3/8" and yes, they are very, VERY, VEERRRYYYY sharp.

Thanks for checking that. One other thing. I went to my local dollar store and bought a pack of those clear plastic report folders with the colored plastic splines that slide on to pinch the paper in. Cut the plastic splines to a length that will fit over the blade to act as a safety cover when the knife is not being used.

Thank You Sponsors!