iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleaning a Wood-Mizer

Started by davidlarson, March 09, 2014, 10:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlarson

I bought a 1995 Wood-Mizer LT-40 recently and have been learning how to use it.  It is in reasonably good shape after 19 years, but it had accumulated some dirt, oil and grease stains, even lichen, and other discolorations.  Spring is coming, and I wanted to clean it up for the start of the milling season.  I called the W-M help number, and was told it would not hurt it to use my pressure washer on it.  Yesterday was a warm spring day here, so it got a good washing, and now it looks much better.  I haven't fired it up yet, but my guess is that it will be about 12% more efficient now that it is cleaner.  My old pick-up truck always gets better gas mileage after I wash it. lol
David L.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nothing like a good bath David.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terrifictimbersllc

Probably good to get the salt off too
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

backwoods sawyer

A good cleaning can help more then just the looks of the mill. I take mine to the car wash ever so often, just make sure you have good seals on all your electrical boxes as they don't like moistur in them.
Be careful when using the presure washer on the fins of the radiator, spent some time straightening mine once after using a good presure washer on it, car wash is lower presure.
Have a show sheduled for the 27th will give the mill a good scrubbing before it gose out to the collage, as it has sap stain, road grime, sawdust packed everywhere, and some fresh cow manure splattered on for good measure ;D
When the weather warms up brake out the turtle wax and a small buffer it helps keep the yucky stuff from sticking as much  ;D 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Between baths, a leaf blower does a good job tidying it up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rhino135

A good degreaser spray will help with the pitch, and at the end of the day of sawing a gas blower works wonders.

drobertson

Power washer is the way to go for an annual cleaning for sure,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LittleJohn

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on March 10, 2014, 01:08:38 AM
... a show sheduled for the 27th will give the mill a good scrubbing before it gose out to the collage, as it has sap stain, road grime, sawdust packed everywhere, and some fresh cow manure splattered on for good measure ;D
When the weather warms up brake out the turtle wax and a small buffer it helps keep the yucky stuff from sticking as much  ;D 8)

I thought that was the whole purpose of dragging the mill down the road was to shake loose all that sawdust and stuf that stuck.   :D :D
  ...but leaf blower is a good idea for end of day clean up!!!!

Nomad

[quote author=LittleJohn link=topic=73533.msg1113394#msg1113394 date=13944758
I thought that was the whole purpose of dragging the mill down the road was to shake loose all that sawdust and stuf that stuck.   :D :D
  ...but leaf blower is a good idea for end of day clean up!!!!
[/quote]

Be very careful with that.  I used to think the same way.  Until a nice young lady from the FDOT stopped me and told me if she saw me do that again it'd cost me a fine I couldn't afford to pay. 
     Soon as I got the mill home I went out and bought a leaf blower! ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishpimp

My up/down motor acts funny after a bath. No more clean mill!

Magicman

That does not sound like a funny kind of funny.  I would be thinking about waterproofing or a rain shield.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpimp

Does FDOT have nothing better to do???
I got a speeding ticket by state trooper. Was asked what was the strange  odor in the car. He leaned closer . He said " it's smells like wood... Like cedar..." The wifey thought it was funny.
He didn't 208$ later

Chuck White

QuoteBe very careful with that.  I used to think the same way.  Until a nice young lady from the FDOT stopped me and told me if she saw me do that again it'd cost me a fine I couldn't afford to pay. 
     Soon as I got the mill home I went out and bought a leaf blower!

I've been warned about the same thing, never got a ticket though, and only did it once!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LittleJohn

I have never been stopped/warned about sawdust coming off of the mill, but then again I don't move it all that often except when its dark out  ;)

A few years ago picked up a load of wood chip for the house, got a killer deal from a family freind - about 8 yards, loaded into the old mans 1-ton duallie with the sidewalls up.  Before I left the guy in the yard said I have better tarp the load or the cops will get me for litering, so I tarp it all up.  Sure as the sky is blue, half way between the yard and the interstate (less than 2 mile) there is a cop sitting waiting to pick up poor smucks who didn't listen. 

On the same trip I got to fill some yuppies BWM with a little exhaust from the duallie; going up a hill on the interstate, poor fool desides to slow down, so I pass and put the foot to the floor; look back to see a nice plume of exhaust blowing all over his car  :laugh:

backwoods sawyer

If the truck was not fully loaded I would carry a leaf blower, always just brush the heavy stuff off by hand.
Was cleaning up the mill as I was putting it in travel mode at a local tree services yard and he asked if I had got a "Sifting" ticket. I had never been stopped just using an ounce of prevention. He had got one recently while hauling chips back to the yard.

I have had to replace the bearing and seal on the up down motor twice, lot of side pull on that motor. The first time I washed the mill I found water in several places it should not have been. Fresh seals on the control boxes sealed out the water and the sawdust. I like clean dry control boxes to work with.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!