iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built-Rite 11 HPWS vs. Timberwolf TW-5

Started by NH Forester, March 18, 2014, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH Forester

Getting ready to pull the trigger and these seem to be the two to be looking at, especially living in New England and reasonably close to the manufacturers.

The TW-5 ends up being less even with the same equipment on both (grate and lift) but the TW conveyor is a bunch more money than the Built-Rite. It evens out when you buy both together from either company.

Just curious as to which is the more durable, better built unit. Better after sales support? They look pretty comparable, probably due in no small part to the shared history of the two companies.

I appreciate any insight or actual owner's feedback.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

logman81

I owned a tw5 fc for many years and was very durable and dealer support was good. The one thing that is better with the built rite then the timberwolf is that the wedge on the built rite is pined to the hydraulic cyl. This is a better design as it prevents the wedge from riding up when the block of wood is being split. It's a real pain in the but having to deal with that trust me! If I were you I'd go with the built rite.
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

One more thing I don't think timberwolf offers the auto cycle valve anymore on their splitters.

NH Forester

Thanks. That is the direction I was heading.
A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

waynem3020

Bought a used TW-5FC a couple weeks ago. As to the wedge being attached to the cylinder - for me I prefer the TW-5's cross wedge, which sits on top of the cylinder rod instead of being attached. The TW-5FC has a smaller ( 4'' ) cylinder than the standard TW-5. I have encountered some rounds which simply would not split until I took the cross wedge off, which took a couple seconds thanks to the unattached wedge design. just my 2 cents worth.
JD5203 with a Wallenstein FX90 winch, EZ Boardwalk Jr., PSG Max Caddy, Timberwolf TW-5FC, Stihl MS391

Ed

The wedge on the Built-Rite is behind the main wedge, similar to the All Wood brand. It depends on the next log to finish splitting the 1st one......The TW-5 will split the log completely unless its really stringy wood.

I discussed it some here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72872.0.html

Ed

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

logman81

A few other things the built rite splitter has over the timber wolf is it has two tow points on it, and the table grate is welded on and I think the cycle time is a little faster. It can also split ten ways if you wanted to do bundle wood. To me it's more machine then the timber wolf.

r.man

Yes, happy half century Ed. Sounds mean until you look at my age and then you get to realize you will always be younger than me.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

I really like the two way towing on the built rite. I have always thought splitters were built backwards anyway because after splitting a bunch of wood you then had to move the wood before you could tow the splitter. I have pulled it back with a chain and manhandled it as well but my splitter is not balanced and it is a heavy brute so that becomes less of an option every year. I will pass on some good advice from my brother, don't use the swing down leg, use a block of wood and then if you want to you can pull or swing the splitter away from the already split pile built up around the front. With the proper leg down you are obligated to at least clear it's foot of wood and lift the leg over the wood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

logman81

NH forester did you buy the built rite splitter?

slab

thought I'd chime in on the Timberwolves I have a tw6 that I bought the last day of o3 I've been running it every year since then the only thing I have done to this machine is buy a new battery for it this year I only use it for my own use but I have a farm and I burn about 10 to 12 cord of wood  a year and I have some friends that like to help they probably get about 10 cord between them the power of this machine is unbelievable   the town took down quite a bit of ash this year some measuring 40 inches through the center the lift will lift 500 pounds and we put it to the test using the single wedge to make The Big Stuff smaller it has automatic returnand it never returns until it finishes its splitand all the time I've had the machine I've never got it stuck yet    since I've had this machine I've never spent a dime for fuel to heat my farm   046 sthil  case 580sl and 70 years of life experience in ma.
all the eqipment to run saw mill (loders trucks         trailers  ect,) nicely equiped woodworking shop timber wolf tw-6  but no sawmill yet  (wish list 3665 baker)

Oliver1655

Except for purchasing the equipment, fuel / bar oil for cutting/splitting & the transporting the wood. Even if you have "free" wood & do all the labor for yourself, it is not "free".  However there most of us actually enjoy the process & find it rewarding to do.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

slab

log man 81 I see the things you talk about as an investment to do what I like to do    and that is saveing money   also i dont have to burn oil and the difference is quite a bit.  so I see it as  making money not spending it.  as for transportation the trees were processed and consumed within 800 feet    but I did have to carry the ashes about a thousand feet away  ;)     not by hand of course.  this job beats my day job by far. Ted
all the eqipment to run saw mill (loders trucks         trailers  ect,) nicely equiped woodworking shop timber wolf tw-6  but no sawmill yet  (wish list 3665 baker)

slab

sorry Logman 81.   I met oliver 1655.    wish I could run the computer as good as I can run a machine!

timberlinetree

We bought a built rite (used to be Brute) splitter and conveyor combo over 15 years ago. We have run anywhere from 500 (low guess) to 1500 cords through it with no problems. We keep up on the maintenance on both. Good luck with whichever you choose. Only have a picture of our conveyor...

I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

timberlinetree

Thanks it's a real back/time saver! We can load a full cord in about eight mins!

timberlinetree

Have to admitt it's more like 20 mins when Marcia helping or it's 16 inch pieces.

logman81

Thank You Sponsors!