iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Floor Ideas needed

Started by chasenabby, April 29, 2014, 09:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasenabby

All,
I finnaly have the time to fiinish the cabin I started two years ago.
The cabin is on family property meaning not 100% mine. The intent was to build the cabin so it could be moved it needed.
So no permanent foundation was installed.
Since the logs are sittin on cinder blocks, I am not sure how to put a floor in.
I have two thoughts and would like to know your opinions on them or if you have any other ideas.

Idea 1
Have a truck load of pea sized gravel brought in and fill the inside of the cabin and under the logs.
Then set 4x4s of 6x6s on the stone then build the floor on them.

Idea 2
Dig holes and place posts in the holes and build basically a free standing beck at gound level and place flooring over that.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

sprucebunny

How about screwing some 12"+/- long metal strips to 2x6s and hanging them around the inside perimeter and then use joist hangers to put in the floor joists ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

witterbound

Yeah, kinda like building a deck inside ... Screw or nail 2xs onto the bottom logs, then hangers to support the joysts....

D L Bahler

question-

what does that tree do in high winds?
And what happens in, say, 20 years

Leigh Family Farm

I second the joist hangers and ledger boards on the inside. For added support, you could get those concrete blocks that decks are built on and raise them up so the floor joist sit on them. The blocks I'm talking about are the ones that have the slots already for cross beams. This way, when you move the cabin everything can go with it. If you put in pea gravel, how are gonna move that with the cabin?
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

york

Make your floor part of the cabin,should be lagged to the wall`s-how could you ever move this later?And,you should have cut down the tree.....
Albert

chasenabby

Thanks for the ideas.
I beleive lag bolting it to the logs seems to be what I will do.

As for cutting down the tree yes, I should have cut it down before we started.
It doesnt hit the cabin in high winds but will eventually come down one way or another.

As for moving the cabin later. I have a freind that owns a large crane company.
He can move it we need to. But certainly hope we never have to!

Thank You Sponsors!