iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anybody have any "boxwood" or know anything about it?

Started by phinds, July 09, 2014, 11:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Just the other day a friend said he had some boxwood lumber.  I said isn't that a bush.  I have several of them in front of my house.  Don't think I'd get much lumber from them.  The stems are only about 1 inch thick.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

r.man

In my area of Ontario basswood was also called boxwood. Light and easy to split with a nice straight grain. Don't know any latin and no offence but if I thought something was treelike I would call it treelike. Plus I can't pronounce that other word. Tilia americana is the scientific name according to my wife's reference book by Linda Kershaw.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

Sometimes general nicknames come up, such as tielogs going to a tie plant, palletwood going to a pallet plant, and all wood destined for a box plant, walla... it is called boxwood... regardless what the species might be. ;)

And yes, sometimes tielogs go to a sawmill, and palletwood goes to a firewood operation, and boxwood ends up going for pulp.  Names come easy as long as all understand what is meant.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

phinds

Quote from: r.man on July 29, 2014, 09:21:33 PM
In my area of Ontario basswood was also called boxwood. Light and easy to split with a nice straight grain. Don't know any latin and no offence but if I thought something was treelike I would call it treelike. Plus I can't pronounce that other word. Tilia americana is the scientific name according to my wife's reference book by Linda Kershaw.

Yeah, when I first started my wood site, I thought basswood and boxwood were the same thing and only later found out otherwise.
you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

WDH

A lot of common names that people use are wrong.  Pin oak in the Deep South is an example. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!