iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

G0490x arrived.

Started by 21incher, October 13, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Twist in jointer fences is a common ailment both on new and old machines.  Check with a square on each end but make sure the tables are co-planer first, at they are the reference.

Since a feeder is set up on the outfeed side it will do little to remove bow or twist.  It will take out any cup...might take a few passes.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

If you "press" the bow out, it will "spring" back.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Agree with that.  The alternative is to joint the ends off the boards to get one face flat and a shorter board, so there is a choice to make here. ;)
Maybe cut the bowed board in the middle of its length and end up with two shorter boards without losing much thickness?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Yes, I always cut my project boards cut to rough length before face jointing to keep the pieces being jointed as short as possible. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Today I was trying to make a perfectly flat fence board for my table saw. I started with a 1" x 6" x 5' piece of rough cut hard maple. I flattened 1 side with the jointer and after a couple of light passes it was just about perfectly flat and looked like it was polished. Then I planed it to 3/4" and when I checked it again it was bowed about 1/16" in the middle. So I jointed it again ,then planed it and finally wound up with a fairly flat 5/8" board. Air dried wood seems to have a lot of tension in it that machining brings out.

Larry I was talking about twist the boards. The one thing I found out quickly about a helical head is everything has to be set perfectly parallel to the cutter head. With my old knife jointer just the beds had to be set up parallel and then the knives were aligned to the out feed table. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Solomon

I am not a fan of Grizzly , I would not buy any machinery from them.
I've seen to many negetive issues with to many of them.
I know guys who are happy with thier Grizzly machines and just as many who are not.
My opinion of Grizzly is "You're rolling the dice when you purchase any machine from them.
You might get a good one and you might not.
I have a Grizzly 24 in double drum sander  , only because it was given to me and I have to tell you,  I'm not very impressed with it.   I use it for sanding cutting boards and small end grain up butcher blocks I build and that's about all.   It doesn't do a good job on cabinet doors , or other panels and parts.
I have two Steel City machines , a 20" 3hp band saw and a 20" 5hp planer and I would not buy a Steel City machine again either.  They don't honer the warranty the boast about.  Found that out the hard way.
  I have been very happy with General, General International, Jet and Powermatic.   Thier products are well built and thier cutomer service is on point, on time, every time.   If I need better than that, I will spend the big money on a Martin Machine.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

mesquite buckeye

Ouch!

I have a couple of Grizzley planers. Both required some touchup light machining with a grinder for proper function, but both have been durable and work well. The work that I had to do was probably less than 3 hours to fix both of them.

I have a Jet shaper that I pulled out a bloody hand from while setting it up from razor sharp edges that should have been deburred at the factory. Again, a good machine at a decent price, but don't expect it to be perfect right out of the box. Deburring with sandpaper and beveling sharp edges with an angle grinder are not a big deal. :-\

Solomon, I'm curious. I understand your dissatisfaction with Grizzley products. Could you share just what specifically you had problems with. I only know what I have seen myself on the machines I have used. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Solomon, which of the General, General International, Jet and Powermatic tools do you have? Would like to see some pics of them. We like pics...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

21incher

I am extremely happy with the jointer I just bought. If it had not been for getting banged around by UPS I think it would have been perfect out of the crate. I feel the quality of the spherical head cut is amazing and the tables were all ground and deburred well. The customer service was above average ( they called me twice to see if I needed any support with shipping damage and sent me touchup paint for the couple of scratches without me even asking for it.) My machine was one of the first from a new factory and I am not sure if that made a difference with the quality. After my experience I would not think twice about ordering another machine from them because the results I am getting from their jointer will match the results of a machine costing twice as much. I feel Grizzly makes great affordable tools for a home shop, but then again I only buy ford trucks because after getting a lemon I know Chevy's are junk.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Well I finished a new push block today. Made it from some scrap walnut, oak, soft brass, and heavy duty no slip liner.

It is 19" long with a no slip pad on the bottom and a adjustable soft brass pusher. I took your idea @Bill Gaiche and copied the plastic pusher for the handle shape and it is quite comfortable to use. Next I think I will build one that is about 4 feet long and has adjustable pads to just put pressure on the 2 ends of the board being flattened.

Bill Gaiche

Boy, that thing is worth about $300.00 in my book. Very nice. Hope the 490 jointer will go on sale in Nov. so I can get one. If not, I will buy one anyway. I will buy one that has the knives and when they dull I will install a Byrd head. Thanks for the reply and have a good day, bg

Thank You Sponsors!