The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 876395 times)

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #10940 on: May 15, 2022, 03:13:59 PM »
The things I have to do to keep up with your production  @ehp.  
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #10941 on: May 15, 2022, 04:58:59 PM »
well if that was the case NW you would be sitting at home watching the paint dry and the grass grow  ;D, have not cut a tree in almost 2 weeks . I got lots to cut but just not going crazy at it until they figure things out a lot better , I own the bushes so if I gain another $50 to $100 /1000 that makes my bottom line look a lot better 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #10942 on: May 15, 2022, 05:01:32 PM »
And remember I'm old and over the hill and busted up pretty good so if you cannot out produce this old has been your doing stuff very wrong . I'm sure you cut more by lunch on the first day of the week compared to what I cut per week or might be per month 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10943 on: May 15, 2022, 06:02:38 PM »
And remember I'm old and over the hill and busted up pretty good so if you cannot out produce this old has been your doing stuff very wrong . I'm sure you cut more by lunch on the first day of the week compared to what I cut per week or might be per month
Ahhh...no...no we don't.  We are slow as molasses.  Really, not even joking.  Slow slow slow.  My goal with the harvester is only 16k bdft a day, or 4*27 tons (we rarely sell by ton but it helps the folks in michigan dial back the expectations).  
We do try to cut good wood and only good wood.   I think it's a great strategy to hold and wait a bit.  Sugar bush?  Hard maple has stayed roaring hot.  
Had hoped to get up there this summer but I have a small surgery that will have me limited in what I do and a service that will be painful to manage.  All in all I think I'll miss most of a month of work.  We'll see how I feel after the surgery.
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #10944 on: May 15, 2022, 07:37:18 PM »
Hope everything goes way better than you think, your tough so it should . yes I'm not cutting any good timber and that's my plan but if I end up where it has to go then I guess I will . Not sure how you cut good hard maple in this heat , it will split on the way to the ground or very shortly afterwards so we just stay as way from good stuff . If your cutting 16,000 feet a day so 80,000 feet a week that's pretty good . You got pretty good machines now so that makes it a lot easier on the body for it to do all the bull work for you 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10945 on: May 15, 2022, 08:19:54 PM »
Yeah easier on the body is a big selling point.  I don't know anything about cutting hard maple, just follow the prices  :D.  I've yet to actually drop one, they are more prevalent just 60 miles west or north but very uncommon and not big here.  
Liking Walnut

Offline chep

• Share Post
« Reply #10946 on: May 15, 2022, 08:59:11 PM »
Wyatt

One of the things i have done is hand cut ahead of a harvester when the guy is learning the ropes of running a complicated piece of equipment!  Lay down wood in front so he can focus on just processing. In my experience most of the time fussing around with ctl is cutting off the stump. And most of the time/dangerouse work chopping is topping etc. It will push up production untill he gets up to speed. Even just a couple hrs on the saw just laying things down can make a big difference.  Especially as he learn the controls.  Might save some hoses etc

Good for you. Big step!

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10947 on: May 15, 2022, 09:28:05 PM »
Thanks.  It's a big step.  We're going for seat time vs production at the moment.  We've got some hand cutting to do on some really big ones so he's going to be dropping those for better or worse, maybe have to hand buck some too  :( (dad bucks).  Brain trust is going to be looking for a forwarder driver to replace me and I'll just go back to signing up clients.  
Liking Walnut

Offline lshobie

• Love the smell of fall in the morning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #10948 on: May 16, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »
Getting used to my log loader/skidder combo, the loader controls are bagged right out and the levers are so loose the cross each other all the time...time for a rebuild or maybe a new valve bank?

C5 Treefarmer, Bombardier Ram Skidder, Bombardier J5 with forwarder, Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Offline 78NHTFY

• I'm old!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10949 on: May 16, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »
Cutting some black gold-- 8).  With MS361 and 20" bar, trimmed the flares, plunge cut, wedged, cut the strap and boom: fell just where it was supposed to.  Trimmed the tops for cordwood, trunk and multiple crotches for the mill.  Will be Bibbying the 36" butt to fit on the LT 40.  All the best, Rob.

A good 80'

1st cut of the wedge on the fall side.

Those wedges have seen better days....

Bucked up and ready for pick up to the mill.  
If you have time, you win.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10950 on: May 16, 2022, 06:14:08 PM »
Nice! Looking forward to seeing the gold opened up!

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #10951 on: May 16, 2022, 10:35:35 PM »
Well the gongshow of 2020 still haunts me, but on the bright side, work continues up north on the SPF monster mill rebuild.  On schedule and on budget.  Lakes still frozen and 2' of snow still in the woods last week.

Had a chance to blow off some steam while I was home from the hitch this past weekend, so did a technical drop cause no one else would do it.  It was 35C (95F) and bugs were atrocious, so when I was 40' up and 15' from the top of the crown, decided to "go for it".  Math in my head was that I could lay er down and miss the shed by a bit.

Video evidence shows it flying out and clearing the roofline by 6"....

Some days are good ones!

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #10952 on: May 16, 2022, 10:48:25 PM »
NativeWolf, I do admit it would have been far cooler to barge your fancy new rig over and grab onto the stem!

Wouldn't have even needed to unload it  :D :D :D  Just rip it and ship it!!!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10953 on: May 17, 2022, 02:19:01 AM »

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10954 on: May 17, 2022, 06:10:44 AM »
 I now know of 3 pine mills that have brought logging in house, no monster mills but small medium sized ones.  An interesting trend.
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10955 on: May 17, 2022, 06:30:32 AM »
dustin :  Just how far north are you?  What's your role in that process and what's the decision making process on the reopen/rehab?
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #10956 on: May 17, 2022, 07:16:04 AM »
@Walnut Beast Maybe he should ask the Corbets why they were not getting paid more for the last 30 years?  I guarantee you that Eddie & Hunter and the rest are not hurting for money.  As to why Corbet packaging mill closed... the decline in the availability of raw material.  The raw material they wanted was sweetgum or tupelo for the veneer business they had off of Castle Hayne on Smith Creek.  Lets just say we knew the family.  

Everything was on a short term basis and the mill never did anything strategic to ensure a long term supply.  Instead of ensuring fiber supply the family and their friends subdivided lots for housing and cleared land for cukes, sweet potatoes and other things.  As a result VA mills are shipping sweet potato crates from Southside of VA down to Burgaw NC.  More short term forestry with no thought on supply or land management.  Different place, will have the same outcome.  

Not sure what Bobby was expecting when the Corbets clearly were not making any effort to stay in the forestland business nor had they ever paid him enough for him to have a rainy day fund.  Pender county is urbanizing, New Hanover had long since, Brunswick county has gone retirement haven...Myrtle Beach wannabes.  Instead of pine and sweetgum you have ...Kilns  Direct, retirement homes on black water streams, and sweet potatoes.  Bobby had a chance to regroup 4-5 years ago...he went the wrong direction.   In short...Bobby closing up is all on Bobby.  
Liking Walnut

Offline dustintheblood

• Home in the woods
    • Share Post
« Reply #10957 on: May 17, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »
dustin :  Just how far north are you?  What's your role in that process and what's the decision making process on the reopen/rehab?
Hey Native....  North of Chibougamau Quebec.  I'm project manager / lead consultant.  The modernization is a full retrofit with a new HewSaw and bin sorting line.  A few years in development now, with a soft start in two months.

Home is SE Ontario (east of Ed, and south of Ishobie, and a bit north of Barge) lol

Offline Lebel Logging

• Share Post
« Reply #10958 on: May 17, 2022, 10:41:24 AM »
@nativewolf
I can't speak for bobby or anybody else but around here there are some really successful logger that park their iron because its too rough and they been doing this for sometimes 2-3 generation.
The mills that buys softwood around here have all the plant for a 350 km radius, and the public land wood is so cheap he keep the price low. When I see somebody that made a living logging successfully for over 30 years park is iron because of the raise of the fuel price and everyrthing, I think there is a problem. I know you are doing well and Im happy to see some people succeed. Its just not always bad decision.

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #10959 on: May 17, 2022, 11:17:01 AM »
Good to see you have remained humble in your success there Native Wolf. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2022, 06:51:02 AM
by Edwardjohn
xx
First post and a couple of questions

Started by peter nap on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
by Jeff