iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Barge the one in Marenisco must be at Superior parts? Not too far down the road from me (in UP terms lol).

barbender

That hinge is a beauty, Joe. Hey just to mention, a dangle head can do that without moving the machine😁
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 21, 2022, 07:02:57 PM
Barge the one in Marenisco must be at Superior parts? Not too far down the road from me (in UP terms lol).
Yes. I don't think it's a bad looking machine, not all stove up, deere powered, I like the machine size. My knowledge of UP there is limited, my timbco came out of Lakeshore. We have ZERO dealer support here, I go buy one of those 703JHs from McCoy and have a serious problem it's going to be the techs from Maine coming down to fix it. I can fix that timbco, support for those heads seems to be pretty decent. 
Quote from: Riwaka on September 21, 2022, 07:38:30 AM
Are bullet resistant jackets part of the supplied kit?
There are plenty of agricultural vintage/ classic machinery live demonstration days, probably not so many classic logging machinery live demo days.
Would a partial CTL system work with the Timbco + 4 roller processing head? 
Being a resident of NY it's not polite to discuss body armor in public anymore but the polyethylene steel alloy / Invictus plate carrier from AR500 isn't a bad choice. 
  🤦‍♂️ What people on here consider classic iron, alot of the guys where I live would give a testicle for. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: barbender on September 21, 2022, 11:20:07 PM
That hinge is a beauty, Joe. Hey just to mention, a dangle head can do that without moving the machine😁
Correct. But I track ahead of big ones anyways and cut process anything in its path. That way I'm not cleaning up a mess in the fell zone. So no steps loss anyways. 😁

barbender

A case of work smarter, not harder👍 But then, knowing that every squeak that undercarriage makes costs you a dollar encourages that kind of efficiency 😁

ehp

Barge Barge Barge, your making WAY TO MUCH MONEY, we all know your Super wealthy and it shows . You bought 1 tigercat so just go buy a few more of their machines , You can do it . Now remember the normal amount to spend on a ring is 3 months salary so in your case that should be $400,000 to $500,000 for her ring . Hell thats about a weeks work gross for you . 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: barbender on September 22, 2022, 10:07:22 AM
A case of work smarter, not harder👍 But then, knowing that every squeak that undercarriage makes costs you a dollar encourages that kind of efficiency 😁
Very true. But in that case I'd make my face cut then drive past and not return. You just have to think about the fell zone going that direction first. Or just make the forwarder operator mad lol my mind is like a tornado. Which is generally bad unfortunately. 

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on September 22, 2022, 08:15:33 AM
Quote from: barbender on September 21, 2022, 11:20:07 PM
Correct. But I track ahead of big ones anyways and cut process anything in its path. That way I'm not cleaning up a mess in the fell zone. So no steps loss anyways. 😁
Why not cut so the lay is always behind you?

Firewoodjoe

@Skeans1 alot of these hardwood thinnings there's no room. Each tree is different. The bigger ones have to go in the hole that works. 

Firewoodjoe

I mostly try to fell where I haven't been just so if there is a damaged tree I can get it when I get to it rather than having to back track to clean up. 

barbender

A big maple or oak top is a whole different ball game to get on the ground vs a conifer. 

Firewoodjoe

Curious, will a dangle head set in a desired angle or location like a fixed head to trim limbs on big hardwood? 

Skeans1

@Firewoodjoe 
The head I have has a lock to set at any angle. As far as cutting certain times of the year we would fall in the trail behind us then process. With the dangle head even though you can some what swing the head around a tree you won't get as accurate of a sight cut as if you're right next to the tree. If I'm cutting larger stuff especially tall stuff say 150 to 175 foot range I'm cutting it just like it's done with a saw hinge and all.

Firewoodjoe

I see. I watch these dangle heads and they seem crazy fast compared to a fixed. But I hate how they swing around and I would think you have to reposition every cut to make a nice pile. For the most part my 415 will just sit and cut in a straight pile. I sure like the DBH advantage also. 

Firewoodjoe

Also does the carrier affect the heads ability. I'm sure it does if its to small but some heads are only rated for so much gpm and psi so any bigger is a waste right? At least in head speed. 

chevytaHOE5674

The Ponsse I run will lock the head at any angle and trim limbs. As for having to reposition for every cut into a pile I rarely if ever reposition the head when bucking into a pile. 90% of the time I hit the pre-set button and let the head do all the work. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 22, 2022, 07:27:16 PM
The Ponsse I run will lock the head at any angle and trim limbs. As for having to reposition for every cut into a pile I rarely if ever reposition the head when bucking into a pile. 90% of the time I hit the pre-set button and let the head do all the work.
On log wood? 16" plus? The YouTube videos sure swing around. 

Woodfarmer

Anyone have any experience with a tigercat 845? How many hours do they usually go before requiring a rebuild?

barbender

I don't have that many hours in the seat of a processor, so as always take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I'm always making small adjustments and trying to time the cut with the momentum of the stem coming through the head, so it lands where I want in the pile. I watch videos of some guys cutting, the sequence goes feed, stop dangle dangle dangle back and forth for 5-10 seconds, then cut. Lots of time lost. When the feed stops, I'm cutting and letting that stem go while the momentum is still carrying it. Every once in a while a stick won't roll right, the butt will come up and get hit by the stem you are feeding and push it out of the pile. I leave those just so the forwarder operator appreciates when you leave them a nice pile😁

barbender

I think any of the H series Ponsse heads- H5, H6, H7, H8 have a tilt lock.

chevytaHOE5674

Sure the head will swing around but when you get in a rhythm you saw while its swinging roughly the same everytime and the wood all lands decently (on clean wood the auto feed on the Ponsse heads make it fairly easy). Like bartender said somethings a stick will roll or bounce and end up wonky. But if your piles aren't massive its easy enough for the forwarder op to straighten up.

Also with enough time the movements and corrections just happen and you don't even notice yourself doing them. 

Having said all that a fixed head machine typically makes neater straighter piles of wood for the forwarder.

mudfarmer

Just cutting firewood, things are following me home not sure where else to post. @Ed_K

*Some assembly required 

Firewoodjoe

mudfarmer

Close enough since I forgot a picture  :D

It was a skidder like Ed's then almost a forwarder now comes to me in pieces at scrap price, my favorite price. Just needs a spit shine....

barbender

Nice. I'd love to have a small forwarder around my woodyard! 

Thank You Sponsors!