iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to get something out of hollow log

Started by bakerhardwoods, August 15, 2015, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

I have a few hollow hard maple logs that are very hollow with 3 to 6 inches of wood around the outside.  I cut one for firewood and found that it is quite curly.  I would like to figure out how to salvage as much as I can from them.  Not only are they hollow but they are not entirely solid (maybe lightening strikes).

I have a Lucas Mill without a lot of experience using it and I can't see much way to hold these log sections.  Also I regularly hire sawyers with woodmizers to saw.

Any thoughts of how to get something out of these?  I'm thinking of maybe cutting them into strips maybe 4" wide and squaring them up with the jointer, planer and table saw.

Magicman

There is meat around the edges.  All that I know to do is to rotate and saw. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

As MM suggests, line it up on the mill for cuts parallel to the bark and let the taper fall in the log center (where the hole is).

Lots of duplicate pics in your gallery, and if you'd like some help preventing those, give a shout.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deadfall

I wuz gonna say, if it wuz a badger in that hollow log, just reach in there.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

bakerhardwoods

I have never personally milled a curly maple log.  It looks to me from taking a few pieces of firewood from this log and finishing them into pieces about 3x3x16, the curl shows mainly if it is quartersawn, and is totally different on the other two flat-sawn sides.  On the other hand the curly maple I have purchased looks like it is plain sawn.

The grain on this log is extremely wavy, with waves on about a 1/2" cycle going down the grain showing on a piece of split firewood.

Tim

deadfall

Happy for no reason.

Kcwoodbutcher

I've done a few walnut like that. I slice them lengthwise with a chainsaw into widths that minimize the curvature of the log. That width will vary depending on the diameter of the log. This is kinda like cutting up a pie minus the center of the pie. I take those pieces to the mill and cut 4/4 lumber from them and then edge the boards for best yield. Hollow logs generally produce some great curly lumber, worth the effort it takes. Don't forget the stump if there is any. I made a lot of money from one 30" high hollow walnut stump because the figure was fantastic.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

sealark37

I would set up the Lucas on the log and saw two or three 4/4 slices of quarter sawn, then rotate the log enough for another two or three cuts.  Lots of work, but the result will be worth it, after edging and planing.  Regards, Clark

isawlogs

I cut those like Kcwoodbutcher does, I just cut the log in two with the saw if it cannot be done on the mill, then I use the mill to cut same as he discribes. Makes the most of  what normally is thrown asside.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raym

heres a thought.....This was from a piece of sycamore I think

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Raym on August 17, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
heres a thought.....This was from a piece of sycamore I think

Now I bet that was fun to turn....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I do a lot of woodworking...
Turning something like that sure would take some time...
You would almost need to make a special holding tool to turn it....

My last turned object... made for my wife....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

:o That is a lotsa laminating.  What does she mash?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Magicman on August 17, 2015, 09:21:10 PM
:o That is a lotsa laminating.  What does she mash?

My wife is Dominican.
They mash everything...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

AnthonyW

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on August 15, 2015, 10:06:56 PM
I've done a few walnut like that. I slice them lengthwise with a chainsaw into widths that minimize the curvature of the log. That width will vary depending on the diameter of the log. This is kinda like cutting up a pie minus the center of the pie. I take those pieces to the mill and cut 4/4 lumber from them and then edge the boards for best yield. Hollow logs generally produce some great curly lumber, worth the effort it takes. Don't forget the stump if there is any. I made a lot of money from one 30" high hollow walnut stump because the figure was fantastic.

How many "slices" would you make, using the OP photo as an example. My first temptation would be 4, but I wonder if more would be better. Perhaps 6? Maybe 8?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Magicman

If the log is large enough and will support it, yes, 6-8 +.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

If you cut the log into 1/8ths, I think that is where you get your greatest recovery, as the curvature is less. Afterwords shave off the rot inside and bark outside and you get tapered edge boards of max thickness. These could then be ripped if you want something thinner..... ;D

A Lucas mill would be ideal for this.

With a band mill you could cut the top just above the rot, flip the log, do the same thing again, then wedge and cut the side pieces. More waste but doable. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Kcwoodbutcher

On that size log I would say at least 8 to maximize recovery. You're not going to get great boards out of every piece but hopefully the wood you do get will have some great figure, especially around the butt flair.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

deadfall

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on August 18, 2015, 01:00:34 PM
...some great figure, especially around the butt flair.

Really, is that all you guys think about?

========================

Cut into eighths, that would be eighth-sawed.  Should produce some nice grain. Could be some fiddle backs in there. Certainly some guitar necks. Did anyone read the blank prices in that link I put up?

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!