iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have a CNC machine for routing or laser engraving?

Started by 2StateTrigger, November 29, 2015, 05:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2StateTrigger

Would love to hear of your experience using your machine. 

If you could provide a brand name, model #, and maybe some pics I would appreciate some input from those who have first hand experience.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff
Molon Labe

Kbeitz

I made one from scratch. Even did all the programing in Basic.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den-Den

I have a home made CNC router.  It has 3 ft X 4ft X 6in travel and uses an old Windows XP pc running Mach3 for control.  I don't use it much for cutting out parts or joinery but it is great for signs and some special cuts.  I use "Stikfont" or "Deskengrave" for lettering, for other stuff I draw it with a CAD program, export as .dxf and convert that to G-code.  If I was trying to make money with it; I would purchase "V Carve Pro" software.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

DansSawmill

i have a joes hybrid castcnc  4x8 with aspire, and a 4hp spindle, took several years to get where i am now, but can do cabinetry to 3d carvings, level any slab i can cut on the sawmill, dovetail a cedar chest, you name it.
joes has a active forum, great bunch o guys
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

ronwood

I have a Digital Woodcarver CNC machine designed by an engineer who worked for Woodmizer until he was got to busy selling the his cnc product. Use VCarve pro v8.0.

To me good software is a must.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Stuart Caruk

I use an Epilog Helix 45 watt CO2 lazer for all kinds of stuff, and a couple home brewed CNC routers. I also have a shop full of CNC vertical mills, a 400mm horizontal with pallet changer and a lathe, amongst other things...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Kasba

I just purchased a inventables Xcarve 1000mm and hope to see it soon. It is a kit but it is open source so you can create it to what you want.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

jueston

i have the CNC Router Parts PRO4848 machine with a 3HP spindle, i can't sing its praise high enough. its a kit so you have to assemble it yourself, but i find that to be a positive thing, since it means your ready to trouble shoot problems later and with the instructions and all parts right there, it only took a few evenings after work to get up and cutting. the design is so customizable and adjustable that doing maintenance and keeping tolerances tight is easy. some machines that come assembled are very challenging to adjust and keep accurate.

the biggest question is what do you want to do with it? different operations require different levels of rigidity, size is usually one of the largest deciding factors, and spindle power will drastically effect how long it takes to make things.

CNC machines prices range from DIY kits you can scrounge together for a few hundred dollars to commercial machines for $250,000+

i wished i could have spent more time actually touching and playing with one before i purchased but both machines i purchased i did based only on internet recommendations.

21incher

Quote from: Kasba on November 30, 2015, 11:08:42 PM
I just purchased a inventables Xcarve 1000mm and hope to see it soon. It is a kit but it is open source so you can create it to what you want.
Inventables just started manufacturing a 4 amp stepper controller that will allow you to upgrade to bigger steppers and not have problems with them stalling.

I am another one that cannot justify the price of a commercial unit and like to use servos with feedback on CNC equipment. I have just started building one from scrap parts I had laying around to make some simple signs. I am posting videos of the build on my YouTube channel. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jeff

I have both.

Have owned and ran a Digital Wood Carver CNC for years and love it. Look at seperate topic inthis section of forum. I just added 4th axis yesterday.

Also own a epilog mini 24 that is a 30 watt laser. We do a lot of engraving with that. In fact we do the million board foot awards for Woodmizer. Would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

justallan1

I recently bought the Probotix Nebula CNC router and so far really like it. The cutting area is 37x50x5 so it has plenty of room for almost anything.
I'm using Vcarve cut 2D for now, but will be upgrading to Vcarve Pro pretty quick, so I can carve in 3D and use the 4th axis.
Granted, Probotix CNCs and Vcarve software are the only ones that I have any experience with in the past 12 years, but I'm really impressed with both companies.
I have big plans for it in the future, but quite frankly if it keeps me halfway sane during our long Montana winters then it's money well spent. ;D

davemartin88

I bought a Shark HD CNC about 2 years ago and it has been a lot of fun. Has about a 24" square cutting area and has been a great machine to learn with. I just put it up for sale this week as I ordered a larger and more robust machine. New one is a Stinger II from Camaster, 4'x4' cutting area. I used VCarve Pro but recently upgraded to Aspire for the improve 3D capability, both programs are made by Vectric.

Thank You Sponsors!