The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: What is the best finish to use for the lettering on routed signs?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
Re: What is the best finish to use for the lettering on routed signs?
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »
Your grandsons' signs came out great!  The tops are really neat also!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Looks great from where I'm sitting.  ;D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline Busy Beaver Lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Busy Beaver Lumber
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »
21incher

Those signs look great to me. You will love vcarve Pro. I am running that software and really love it. When i first bought the DWC CNC, they were almost exclusively shipping with Bob Cad, and I beleive I was the was the first to ask them to verify machine operation using Vcarve Pro with the new USB interface they were offering. Now the folks at DWC prefer Vcarve Pro as well recommend it over Bob Cad.

Personally I would not run Bob Cad or let a copy of it in my house, even if you gave it to me for free. The sales people outright lied to us, claiming that their software could do functions that Vcarve Pro could not, and tried to still continue lying even after i showed them evidence on the Vcarve Pro site that what they were saying were complete lies. We told them we were not going to buy Bob Cad and asked them to stop calling, and they ignored that request and continued to bother us almost weekly for the next year until i offered to have my attorney contact them with a harassment lawsuit, then they stopped. Go read on line and you will discover many other people that have had similar..if not much worse experiences with them.

You are making the right choice going with vcarve pro. We have only had to contact them twice in 3 years for tech support, and both times they were great. Their manual that you can print out is very comprehensive and fills a 3" three ring binder. I am also finding that several of the nearby vocational schools are now using vcarve pro as well as their classroom standard. I have had some students bring their vcarve files over to my place and run them on my cnc without any problems at all. Most recently a 54 year old student, with no previous cad experience, generated the vcarve pro files and came and ran these two tray bottoms shown below that she generated without any difficulties and she plans to come back and do many more. All we had to do was re-generate here vcarve pro .crv file and select the output processor for my machine instead of the one they used in class. And you are always free to call me if you need help as well.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks Fred. I am looking at the Vcarve desktop version that seems to be the same except you can only cut up to a 24 inch square job. My router will only cut 28 inches square so it will work for me and save a couple of hundred dollars. So far the router has only cost me a little over 400.00 and I think the Vcarve will be a good investment.  I have downloaded the demo and it seems real easy to use. I will just have to modify a post processor slightly for my machine. I am using Sheet Cam that I purchased for my plasma table and that works good for 2d jobs right now. Ran a jewelery box in a walnut slab today and started worrying that something may go wrong and ruin it after watching it run for 45 minutes, but it ran great and finished the job with no problem. I never realized how long it takes to cutout a part. I would like to know how Vcarve works out with your rotary axis because I am now thinking about building a  CNC lathe that uses a router controlled by one of the low cost Arduno boards. :) 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Busy Beaver Lumber

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Busy Beaver Lumber
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »
21incher

There is a video on youtube that DWC put out there showing the 4th axis programing with vcarve pro and it running as well. Search youtube for Digital Wood Carver
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter