iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Workbench Question

Started by Brian_Weekley, December 24, 2015, 06:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I've been following Lowpolyjoe's workbench build--very nice.  A question for you woodworkers--what is the reason for the large overhang typically seen on these beautiful benches (example below)?  I understand a leg vice and deadman to hold long boards on edge for jointing and an end vise with dogs to hold boards flat for planing, but I just don't understand the need for the giant overhang.  Can anyone share a photo showing why it's needed?  Thanks!   smiley_christmas

e aho laula

Andy White

Brian,
Normally, the 0verhang is for the end vice, or tail vice to be enclosed. Normally, the chop is morticed into the outer frame, and the top on the inside. This gives great lateral support to the movable jaw, or chop. And it lets me sit on my stool, and put my legs under the table.    Andy        YMMV
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Brian_Weekley

Thanks for the reply, Andy.  I guess my question is more around why the tail vise chop is typically housed in an overhang of the bench top?  It seems the bench would be sturdier if the legs were set wider.  For the Roubo-style benches, the legs are typically flush with the front of the top.  Maybe it's just a consequence of the leg being in the way?  It's really hard to find examples of tail vises without the side overhang, but here's one:

In other words, is the overhang just to make the tail vise/bench construction easier, or was the overhang there to perform a specific function (e.g., gives you room to clamp a particular shape or item with the extra room available underneath the top)?
e aho laula

Andy White

Brian,
Seems that I watched an episode of The Woodwright Shop where Roy Underhill done a series on benches. Gave lots of hows and whys. I will see if I can find them and post a link. It was very detailed and interesting. Those two pictures you show are very nice examples of what I would like to build for my shop. So little time, so much to do!
Thanks,       Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on December 26, 2015, 09:26:50 PM

In other words, is the overhang just to make the tail vise/bench construction easier, or was the overhang there to perform a specific function (e.g., gives you room to clamp a particular shape or item with the extra room available underneath the top)?

Hi Brian, this is what I think it is for, to work on the end of a board. Dennis
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

lowpolyjoe

When I started working on my bench I didn't have a full design laid out - I just knew I wanted the Roubo style.  By the time I had to decide how far in from the ends to put the legs, I had purchased a book on benches and it said something about "12 inches from the ends", so that's what I used.  I had planned to have them further towards the ends, thinking it would improve stability.  I wish I had, because it would have also increased the width between the legs, which will eventually be a shelf below my benchtop.  With my current leg configuration, the width of the shelf is quite narrow.  That is partly due to the fact that my legs are something like 8" or 9"  wide.

One other consideration for leg placement is the end vise operation.  I'm currently working on mounting a standard face vise on the end of the benchtop.  I wanted it close to the edge of the bench because my square dogs are near the edge.  However, I realized while I was sizing things up, that the screw and guide rods from the vise would hit the legs.  As a result, I had to move the vise in from the side to get clearance.  I'm not thrilled about it, it looks kind of funny.  Oh well.

Oh - and looking at one of your pics I was thinking, if the end vise is a certain type of wagon vise (which I don't have), then I think you may sometimes use it to hold long pieces running through the hole in the benchtop created when you open the vise, so no leg can be there.  But I guess you don't need *too* much overhang for that.   

Clark

Another reason for the largish overhang is to make working on cabinets easier. If the top of the bench isn't too wide then you can slip the entire carcass (or some other cabinet making term, I avoid cabinets like the plague) on the end, secure it to the bench and go to work.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!