iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

siding finish question

Started by blackfoot griz, February 21, 2016, 12:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackfoot griz

In the near future, I will begin to reside my house here in Western Montana. The siding I am using is a 6/4 Douglas Fir. The boards are a T & G around 11 inches wide with a hand scalloped appearing exterior. The backside has  5 "relief" grooves ( proper term?). I  had planned on staining both sides. Two guys recently  suggested that I would be wasting time and money staining the back.

Even though I will have to sell the place (divorce) I still want to do it the best way possible.
Should both sides be coated?
Thanks

beenthere

Doing both sides may give more stability from drying degrade. Depends..

Do you have a pic or link to the product you are using?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

blackfoot griz

The pic ended up on the OP....twice.

beenthere

Quote from: blackfoot griz on February 21, 2016, 08:37:30 PM
The pic ended up on the OP....twice.

Good addition to the original post.. Have never seen such siding before.. any historical data on how well that thick board siding works?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

blackfoot griz

This isn't the best pic, but it gives an idea of what it looks like when installed. There are verticles uprights 12 ft on center and the siding fills in between. This way, there are no overlapping pieces.
Just not sure if the backside needs a coat or not.

Sawmill Man

I like the siding, I have never seen any like it before. Do you have any info on how it was made?
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Just Me

You are a lot drier there than here, but here I would not consider putting up wood siding that has not been treated on the backside one coat. But, we get a lot of very humid days.

I really like the look of that siding. There is a company in Texas making that same style out of concrete, very nice, and no rot.

blackfoot griz

Quote from: Sawmill Man on February 22, 2016, 09:19:12 AM
I like the siding, I have never seen any like it before. Do you have any info on how it was made?

I don't know how they get the scalloped look on the exterior surface,  it is a machined / automated process though.

Quote from: Just Me on February 22, 2016, 12:22:54 PM
You are a lot drier there than here, but here I would not consider putting up wood siding that has not been treated on the backside one coat. But, we get a lot of very humid days.

I really like the look of that siding. There is a company in Texas making that same style out of concrete, very nice, and no rot.

This is pretty heavy--after going through quite a battle with my homeowners insurance over the cement-fiber product currently on the house,  I wanted to go with real wood! 

It is fairly dry here and we are subject to crazy temperature extremes often in short periods. A 50 degree swing in 24 hours is not that rare.

Circling back to my original stain dilemma, one man I spoke with was adamant that the backside  against tyvek/house wrap should be left raw. Initially, I felt as though both sides should be covered...I guess no matter what I do I will be wrong  :(

Thank You Sponsors!