iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone know where to get 5/16" stock T&G bits.

Started by 21incher, March 10, 2016, 02:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I am making about 120 sq ft of walnut, and 150 sq ft of ash T&G wainscoting from some stock that
I milled to about 7/16 thick x 12" to 18" wide. They will all be ripped to 2" , 3", & 4" wide slats after jointing and planing to 5/16".

I want to keep it the same thickness as some that I had purchased from HD in the past that is shown in the next picture which is 5/16".

I do not care about the beads and am trying to find a cutter set that will go down to stock that thin with a "V" groove. I see some at MLCS that go down to 3/8 thick with a 1/8" tongue, but have not found any that match the commercially available pattern that has a much thinner tongue. Thanks for any suggestions. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Quote from: Bruno of NH on March 10, 2016, 06:56:35 PM
Did you try LeeValley tools ?
Bruno
Just looked. They only go down to 7/16 stock. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

Having a custom router bit made is always an option, but may be too expensive.  If a one time project I might cut the T & G on a table saw.  Use a dado blade with washer sized for the tongue and find an appropriate size blade for the groove.  Actually with that thin of material, a standard full kerf blade could make the tongue in two passes.  A 7 1/4" blade runs fine on a table saw for the groove.  Cut the "V" either with a router bit or on the table saw.

A shaper expands your capability.  With an insert head you could grind the cutters out of a HSS blanks in a short time.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dodgy Loner

What's the thickness of the tongue on the paneling from HD?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

21incher

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on March 11, 2016, 03:46:14 PM
What's the thickness of the tongue on the paneling from HD?
The tongue is .085" and the groove is about .095".  It seems like what Larry said a bit would have to be custom ground.  The project I am working on is not that critical so I will probably go with 3/8" stock and try the MLCS set for now,  and keep looking. I just thought it may be a industry standard joint because that paneling is available everywhere. I wanted to be able to insert strips of walnut into the purchased oak in a future project, but may have to rethink my idea now and make a cutter set from slot cutters and spacers. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Kbeitz

Try this place... They have a BIG selection. They have Adjustable  ones.

http://www.hermance.com/
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 11, 2016, 06:39:08 PM
Try this place... They have a BIG selection. They have Adjustable  ones.

http://www.hermance.com/
Thanks Kbeitz. I only see 1/2" stock & up bits on their site.  If the adjustable one was a little narrower it would work.

Kbeitz

When I worked at Grizzlys Tools they had tons of cutters.
You might want to check the out.

http://www.grizzly.com/search/?q=(router%20bits)
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

hackberry jake

I would send a sample of the panelling to freeborn and have them make a stacked shaper cutter that had the tongue and groove  on the same cutter.Might be more than you're looking at spending, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

21incher

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 20, 2016, 09:58:41 PM
I would send a sample of the panelling to freeborn and have them make a stacked shaper cutter that had the tongue and groove  on the same cutter.Might be more than you're looking at spending, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
If I had a shaper that would be a good option. I have a 1" wide molding head for my table saw that might work. If I can find someone with a wire EDM  I may try and get some hardened inserts cut, but I think I may just change my plans for now. Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

Kbeitz

I made my own blades. I bought blanks and put them all in my vise in a stack.
I took a thin 6" cutoff wheel in my Dewalt grinder and cut the shape real slow.
Worked better than I thought it would. Being that they was all stack together
all cuts came out the same. 3 blades.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

Quote from: 21incher on March 21, 2016, 07:09:46 PM
I have a 1" wide molding head for my table saw that might work. If I can find someone with a wire EDM  I may try and get some hardened inserts cut, but I think I may just change my plans for now. Thanks for the suggestion.  :)

I use a shop made work plate on a standard 8" grinder to make and modify cutters for molding heads.  I normally use a chainsaw sharpening wheel as they are thin and cut cleanly.  Also don't cost much.  Made a pattern for the cutter than trace it on your knife steel by using layout die.  It really goes pretty fast.

I thought about using this method earlier, but grinding a cutter to your specs will be a chore.  The reason is your groove is only .095.  When the groove cutter is ground it will have to have draft on each side to cut cleanly or it will burn.  It might be possible, just I have never done one that narrow.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tule peak timber

Garniga offers a solution to your profile need - but don't ask the price! Stacking stock cutters and or creating the profile in multiple passes is the way to go on the equipment you have. Got a buddy with a woodshop?-Trade work ?  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

21incher

Thanks everyone. I ordered some slot cutters and a arbor from MLCS to try and stack something up. They had a 3/32" slot cutter that should be good for the groove and a couple of 3/16" to try and stack with some shaft shims for the tongue. I have a 8" diamond rim grinding wheel I will try and grind the chamfer for the tongue in the 3 wings of the top carbide cutter, and for the the groove side chamfer I will just make another cut with a std chamfer cutter. Looks like this is the only option for the equipment I have available and my budget.  :)                   

Thank You Sponsors!