iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5 HP Tilting Spindle Shaper From Grizzly

Started by Solomon, May 23, 2016, 11:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon

Well....  I am anxiously awaiting delivery of my new Shaper.
It is Supposed to be delivered today according to the trucking company that called me about it Friday.
I ordered Grizzly's  5 HP  tilting spindle Shaper and 14 sets of cutters, mostly stile and rail cutters for  Entry, Passage and Cabinet doors and T&G V sets for three different thicknesses of matieral as well as a set of flooring cutters and a couple of other cutters.
I hear a lot of mixed reviews about Grizzly products.  Some folks say they had problems with them, others rave about how great they are.
I will be sure and post a full report on my expierence with this machine.
In the intrium,  I would like to hear from all you good folks out there who own or have owned Grizzly Machines.
Please voice your opinions be they Positive , Negative or somewhere in between.  (You're not gonna hurt my feelings) !   
I'm very partial to those who tell the truth objectively.
This Shaper is the first Grizzly machine I have ever purchased or owned and I have a shop full.
Never owned a Shaper so any tips or advise about it will be greatly appreciated.
So chime in folks !! 8) 8)
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

scsmith42

Congratulations on your acquisition! I have that same shaper (mine also has the sliding table feature) and I like it a lot.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

york

Hi,

Ok,i have the 10 in. table saw-15 in. planer-metal lathe-metal cutting band saw and it is all good stuff..
Albert

Solomon

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 23, 2016, 12:15:49 PM
Congratulations on your acquisition! I have that same shaper (mine also has the sliding table feature) and I like it a lot.

I don't have the sliding table but I'm sure that is handy when you're cutting the ends of rails for doors and other short cuts especially accross the end grain.
I just now got it home and the top off the crate.   The crate was dammaged but the machine appears to be in perfect condition.
Looks like a few hours to assemble everything.
It seem to be really heavy and well built.
Still need a refresher course on how to pist puctures to this forum.
They do make it hard to do !!!

ladylake

I think Grizzy high end tools are good and their low end not so good, a 5 hp shaper sounds way high end.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kbeitz

I was a Grizzly tech in the Muncy Pa store.
I liked all the big stiff. Not so much the cheaper stuff.
I think you will like your shaper just fine.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Glenn1

I have their 10" table saw, 3HP Cyclone with a Hepa Filter, their 8" jointer with spiral cutter, and 15" planer.  All of their products have worked just fine for me. 
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Tom the Sawyer

Another thumbs up for Grizzly.  I have a 10" cabinet saw, jointer, 2 hp dust collector, disc/belt sander, 3 hp shaper, 14" bandsaw, variable speed lathe, mini lathe,  3 speed ceiling mount dust filter, and 20" spiral head planer.  All work very well.  Service, rarely needed, has been excellent, too.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

never finished

What little I know about their tools is good. Not at all a fan of their customer service. Thought I was going to have to fight with a lady to return an extra motor and base for a knife sharpener they sent me. My order was to come in two boxes. I got two boxes just not the right boxes. Called to let them know that I had two of the most expensive parts and would love to trade one of them for the blade slide I didn't get. Had to argue with her and two supervisors for quite a while to convince them to send me the right and much less expensive part and a shipping sticker so I could send them the extra motor and base.   

Solomon

As I said, " This is my first purchase from Grizzly"   I have heard a couple of horror stories about their customer service similar to yours but I'm taking a chance with them.
I had three bad expierences with Steel City,  a floor model osilating spindle sander, a 20 inch band saw and a 20 inch planer.
Actually, the planer isn't too bad but the tires and guide bearings on the band saw went to pot within 3 months.   They just kept giving me the run around and would not honer their   " 5 Year , No Questions Asked Warrenty"  end quote.
As for the Spindle Sander,  I got it home and un boxed it,  the sight glass for the oil bath for the worm drive was not glued in properly and gear oil was leaking everywhere.
I called them and the Rep said   " We will send you the Glue, a new sight glass, and a couple quarts of oil and we will throw in a set of sanding sleeves for your trouble"   end quote.
"Sounds Good"  I said.   Well.........   Six weeks later,  I still have a leaking spindle sander and no parts in hand.    I paid $1100.00 for a brand new machine !!   What I got was junk.
So the good folks at Woodcraft sent it back to them and aquired a new machine from General for me .  $50.00 more , and General's customer service is absolutely fantastic !!  I have their 10 inch Jointer w/mortiser also, and love both machines.
I posted a short video to youtube about the new Shaper .  Search " Pete's Wood Shop" it should come right up.  I tried to post a couple more last night but I think Youtube only allows one post per day.   When I try to "Publish"  a window pops up saying  "Youtube not available".   I will try again today.
  Thank You folks for all your feedback,   That's what I love about this forum , 99.999999%  of the folks on here are genuine and that's hard to come by theese days.   The Forestry Forum Rocks !!!!!!   8)

Thank You Sponsors!