iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New wood splitter

Started by jollyrogers100, December 05, 2016, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

That is a neat simple log lift. I too have found by accident that a conveyor is one of the best firewood working tools I have. I have been building a wood processor so I knew I would want a conveyor on the out feed of it so I was watching craigs list for conveyors. Found a old gravel belt conveyor for not much money but had to pull it 500 miles home. It needed some work but I got it going and we have been using it with my wood splitter for several years. Hope to use it on the wood processor soon.

jollyrogers100

Quote from: DMcCoy on December 11, 2016, 08:17:35 AM
I bought a 27T Troy Built about 4 yrs ago.  It has been a good unit so far with no problems.  I split @ 4-5 cords a year.  It is the Horz/Vert type.  Like others splitting vertical got old quick.  Being doubled up sitting on a 5 gallon bucket was my solution to sore knees but that too wasn't comfortable.  Splitting this way was also slow.  The material handling aspect drove me nuts.  I should also mention I'm not small 6'6" and 250 lbs.  So I take up a lot of room and firewood on the ground is a long ways down, if I have to pick it up x 1000's of pieces.

I modified or rather built a frame that lifted the spliter portion up about 9" without altering the factory set up so I wouldn't void my warranty.  It took a stupid amount of 9" pieces of 1 1/2" tube but there was no other way to build the two side tables which are essential imho.

There is an extension handle hooked to the hydraulic valve with a wooden dowel handle about 12" in front of me and about 18" above the plywood tables.  I can easily reach this while splitting.  It also swings up vertical if I have a really big round.

The left table is hinged so I can access the motor. 

The return stroke of the cylinder I utilize to lift large rounds with a light weight removable contraption with a piece of 2x4 that I have to balance the round on until it gets to the top, not a big deal, works great.  Uses 1/8" cable over a small pulley and has a hook on the other end that fits the hole in the top of the wedge.

The biggest improvement to the whole process is a firewood conveyor I built.  I cannot say enough about how much time this saves in the big picture.  I can toss the split pieces onto it and it does the rest.  I split about 1 cord yesterday in an hour by myself. 

A little ingenuity goes a long ways.

I was just looking on CL for conveyors, saw a 24ft one near me for $500.  That would help for putting wood in the basement. 
Energy King 480EK, 1967 Ford 4000, 12 Ft flat bed trailer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher And a Farm and Fleet 3pt splitter

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jolly

I have the 35 ton TSC huskee splitter and estimate i have split over 100 cords with it and no problems. I have two properties and hook it to truck and take it back and forth no problem. Good, well built unit.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!