iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some tips for using epoxy

Started by Brad_bb, February 16, 2017, 04:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Shellac was my first thought but I have never tried it with epoxy, and epoxy is different.  I definitely would want de-waxed shellac.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

btulloh

Dewaxed for sure. If you don't keep flakes around just pick up some zinsler.  Handy.  Scuff up the surface and clean with acetone . Try an adhesion test with the shellac .
HM126

samandothers

So y'all are suggesting using shellac instead of epoxy?  Will that protect the top from water?

Smithkp

There are epoxies with UV inhibitors in them. Amazon sells some and I have used it on an outdoor picnic table and it stills looks the same 2years later.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

btulloh

Quote from: samandothers on August 15, 2018, 11:50:34 AMSo y'all are suggesting using shellac instead of epoxy?  Will that protect the top from water?

Use the shellac to go between the oil and the epoxy if the epoxy doesn't want to adhere to the shellac.  Shellac has a lot of interesting qualities, but it's not a durable finish.  It's pretty limited as a finish, but it's great as a sealer or between a color coat and a finish coat.  It's used as a finish on period pieces but not for high wear or durability.  Not to be used around cocktails since alcohol will melt it.
HM126

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!