iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Utility trailer for the woods

Started by livemusic, March 21, 2017, 10:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

My trailers are not big enough. I hope somebody can provide insight. My largest trailer is 6x10. I need something to not only haul firewood but also to get my stuff into the woods. I sometimes need to take my John Deere Gator XUV. No problem, it will fit on the 6x10. But I have a small, homemade utility trailer, 5x7, street legal, as well, that I sometimes need. From hitch ball to end of the box on the trailer is about 10'. I'd like to haul them on the same trailer but together, front of Gator to rear of trailer box is about 19'. I have been looking at a 16' trailer, but I don't think they will fit on there hooked up. They might, barely, but I am not sure the front wheels of the Gator and the rear wheels of the trailer will be on the trailer deck, lol.

So, how long a trailer do I need? Does such a trailer require trailer brakes? Whatever you suggest, can a 1/2 ton pickup pull it no problem?

I see alot of utility trailers that are 83" wide, which is one inch shy of 7'. Is this 83" some kind of regulatory maximum width?

Separate question about the 16' trailer (which I might actually buy because it does have some merit)... An 8 lug hub/wheel... do you think I would be able to find a used one for a spare or are these not so common?
~~~
Bill

Ljohnsaw

Out here, you can go up to 8' 2" before you have to have a wide load sign or some such thing.  It is very common to see boat trailers close to that (fenders count).  As far as the 8 lug wheel, does that 16' trailer have 5,000 lb axles?  From what I've seen, those have 6 or 8 lug rims.  The lighter 3,500 lb axles are usually 5 lug.

When you say 16' trailer, is that the deck or the trailer's sticker - meaning ball to bumper?  IF your gator and little trailer is 19', then you will be looking for a trailer (ball to bumper) that is closer to 22 or 24 foot.

Pulling with a 1/2 ton truck will depend on the construction of the trailer - how heavy is it built.  But, a 1/2 ton should be able to pull 3-4,000 lbs no problem.  Your gator and trailer are probably close to 1,000 lbs.

Brakes depend on the location.  Out here, anything over 1,200 lbs total weight has to have brakes.  I think in Texas, you have to be over 4,000 lbs or so before they are required.  But, they are so nice to have that I see no reason not to have them.  I prefer electric.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TKehl

1/2 ton will be fine.  Brakes are usually standard and a big help pulling heavier loads.  You could get away without the truck side wiring for a while unless your officials are strict and observant. 

When I was younger and less wise (experienced), I hauled WAY too much weight with a half ton truck and no brake controller.  3.5 small cars (stacked for scrap) and a bed full of used batteries 1-2 deep.  It was a white knuckle ride and I wouldn't do it again and I also have upgraded equipment since then.

18-20' may be long enough.  Your other trailer could hang over a bit as long as the axle is on and any overhang is flagged appropriately.

8 bolt wheels are easy to come up with new or used.  Junk yards, trailer suppliers, C list, etc. 

Question for you:  Does your state allow for double trailers.  A trailer hitch on back of the first trailer to pull the second.  We see it a lot around here.  Truck pulling camper pulling boat/jet skis.  Requires planning as backing up is neigh impossible for mere mortals, but a lot cheaper than a larger trailer if you are only doing this occasionally.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

gspren

Depending on the tongue on the small trailer can you unhook it while on the bigger trailer and slide a couple feet under the gator?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

livemusic

The trailer's deck is 16'. It is 83" wide x 16' long.

I don't know if my state allows two trailers one behind the other, because I rarely see that and when I have seen it, I am not sure, I might have been in nearby Texas or Arkansas.

As for taking the small trailer off and making it fit on the deck, as I meant to infer in the OP, yes, I think that might could be done, but I was hoping not to do that. I work alone a lot and that would be a hassle.

I found an 18' trailer today with electric brakes, seemed to have lots of bells/whistles and it was $3,300 new. I was hoping not to spend that much. I missed a nice trailer posted online this morning by about one hour. I called soon as somebody tipped me off about it but too late.

I might have to buy new, yikes! I much prefer finding a high quality used trailer that is in real good shape.
~~~
Bill

TKehl

If you are still planning to get a tractor, look for a trailer that is wide enough or with drive over fenders.  Part of the reason the 30-40 HP is attractive is they can be transported easier in terms of size and weight.  May or may not matter to you. 

Also newer tractors seem to put more HP in smaller packages.  The fenders may not be as important, but the heavier axles (8 lug) are a big plus.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: livemusic on March 21, 2017, 04:52:38 PM
The trailer's deck is 16'. It is 83" wide x 16' long.

Another option would be to put the gator/trailer on backwards.   That would allow you to put the overhang of the little trailer over the tongue a bit (make sure you can still turn).  Or, add a little bit of decking up on the tongue to allow the gator to drive up a little further.  If it was just a couple of extra bars going across, a set of wheels would drop slightly into them (like a pocket) and you would know you are in the right place.

What it the overall length (OAL) of the 5x7 trailer?  Too long to turn sideways on the carrying trailer?  A hassle but another way to skin the cat.  I see a lot of people carrying ATVs sideways on trailers.  They are short enough not to hang over and it allows them to get one more on the trailer.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I had trailer made that was just street legal for width. Did cost more,but was worth it. I drove the tractor between the fenders,I did not want to go over the wheels. I think it was 16 feet long with a beaver tail,sloped on the back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!