The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Dealing with trespassers  (Read 6446 times)

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
Re: Dealing with trespassers
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 04:10:30 PM »
Unfortunate all that mud splashed onto the seat while you pulled it out
Wink wink  :D
Trying harder everyday.

Online Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
On our place, we have an abandoned rock quarry with 8 tenths of an acre of crystal clear water in it, surrounded by miles of trails.  ATV riders are always a problem.

I have a group of dirt bike riders that I call the Moto Militia.  They have permission to ride here, and permission to scare off anyone.  We are surrounded by waterfront homes, on three sides, with a lot of retired people living in them.  Some are retired military, including officers, and Special Forces guys.  Some of them are in the Moto Militia, and have fun running people off.  One guy has a Trials bike that he walks his dog here with, and also a 450 motocross bike.  The group, as a whole, has accumulated quite a nice group of toys to ride here.

Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays are for horses only.  Whoa be the person caught riding something motorized in here on those days.

One 4th of July, years ago, I had the county deputies arrest a bus load of people in the rock quarry.  In the group was a police officer from out of state.  He would have lost his job if he had been arrested, so I came up with another plan.  

With the group standing in front of me, I told them that anyone that didn't want to get arrested could leave their name, and contact information.  I gave them two weeks to send the county Sheriff's office a list of 10 peoples' names that they had told that they'd better stay out of our quarry, or a car would come for them.  All decided to do that, and the Sheriff told me when he had all the lists.  

It was a fair number of years after that before we started having any trouble again.

Sometimes I just lob a bird bomb back in there.

My most common thing, if a car is found parked under the No Tresspassing signs, is to leave a picture of the vehicle, that shows license plate, and NT signs, in the vehicle, and dump a couple of loader buckets of dirt right behind it, leaving a shovel with a broken handle, so they can get out.

I used to have a couple of mean looking guys working for me.  I'd let them carry guns, but they weren't loaded.  I'd carry a loaded one.  We'd go in there, and confront the group.  My BIG guy would act like he was half crazy, and ask me if he "could shoot this one".  I'd say that he would have to bury him with a shovel, because the excavator was broke down.  Those people always left a pile of clothes, and other stuff, as they ran away.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2021, 09:29:28 AM »
   I would never send anyone in with an empty gun. Either have it ready to use or not at all IMHO. But that's just me.

I like the broken shovel, broken excavator explanation and such though.

Could you sell season passes to let people swim there and make some money out of it or is the liability to great?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Kindlinmaker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2021, 11:39:41 AM »
Old school lessons learned.  

Many, many years ago, I got caught riding a dirt bike across a field of clover that was ready to be mowed.  I stopped for the rightfully upset farmer waving his arms while a couple guys riding with me kept going.  The farmer was much more controlled about the situation than I would have been in his shoes and asked me to quit riding across his livelihood.  Being raised in a hardscrabble church going family, I felt obligated to make amends so I offered to come back and help bale the field.  Well over the next year or two I found myself, and a  few select friends, were welcome to ride on more than one farm's access roads, unplowed fields and woods in exchange for a few afternoons here and there of hustling some hay bales around.  Easy work for 14 year olds but maybe not so easy for a few farmers getting on in years.  Even started hunting some of those farms and of course sharing whatever got skinned.  Most importantly, I learned a bit about farming and a whole lot about being a man (politically incorrect or not).

I do believe we could use a bit of this old school common sense and taking responsibility for yourself today.

Online Tom King

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
    • HistoricHousePreservation
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2021, 12:00:25 PM »
  I would never send anyone in with an empty gun. Either have it ready to use or not at all IMHO. But that's just me.

Could you sell season passes to let people swim there and make some money out of it or is the liability to great?
Don't want to bother with keeping up with it.  Wouldn't be enough money to be worth the trouble.  There is no shallow water.  It's 22 feet deep to start with.
Years ago, I went in there, and some commercial outfit was teaching Scuba diving lessons to about ten people-had never asked anyone anything.
Those guys were just for show, and you wouldn't have wanted either of them to carry a loaded gun either.  It's almost always just a bunch of kids in there.
We have a shooting range in there too.  I let any of the county deputies go in there to shoot, any time they want to.  That's become a pretty good deterrent.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
Great post kindlin maker.

I am for property rights but i think theres a big difference between kids playing fort in the woods, thieves in the treeline scoping out a score and druggies looking to plant a crop.  I have dealt differently with all 3.  I took a hatchet to plenty of nice trees as a kid for ignorance. Now i teach my kid to grade a tree and never mark one up that doesnt need to be removed.  Boys need to swing an axe and see the chips fly.. I just make sure he knows how to pick a good cull and do me a favor instead of wreck a stave.  

I remember my first time getting to ride a dirtbike maybe 10yrs old.. on the "trails" that everyone rode on.  Nothing special pine woods covered in needles, nothing to rip up, no signage.  Some grown man came out screaming his head off that it was boyscout land, veins out foaming at the mouth.  Like i was burning it down or something.  

Flipn jerk, how would i even know?  Its 50 feet from my friends backyard with absolutely no boundary.   That was all the experience with scouts i ever needed to want no part of it, what a bad representative.  There was a missed chance to influence a kid for the better.  

The day that kids turn up in my woods on toys i will say cmon boys lets build a track so i can keep tabs on them and steer them to not become the teenage thief neighbors in a few years.  Turn those young liabilities into assets.

The years i spent building BMX doubles in the woods i wasnt doing drugs and neither were the 20 other regular kids at the track.  But eh hole ronnie belview ran us off with veins popping out of his head because the trail to get there which was there before he was born i bet, just couldnt stand kids near his property.  Adults can suck.  

When places for bicycles and dirtbikes and skateboards went away i got into quiet stuff you could do anywhere.  Drinkin and drugging.

As to ripping up a planted field i can say i have never done it on purpose and if i ever crossed one it was ignorance.. There wasnt much agriculture.  all it woulda took to keep me out of one would be a plywood sign saying "this field is seeded, please stay off it."  

Maybe kids are different now, i dunno.  Mine would obey that sign for sure.
Isaiah 48:10

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2021, 03:57:13 PM »
Mike I am sorry you had a bad experience with a scout dad or leader or (what ever you want to call him).  It is a group made up of all kinds of people.  as we know mostly good, but some bad.  Just like churches and schools, it only takes one bad apple.  
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2021, 04:12:13 PM »
Great post kindlin maker.

I am for property rights but i think theres a big difference between kids playing fort in the woods, thieves in the treeline scoping out a score and druggies looking to plant a crop.  I have dealt differently with all 3.  I took a hatchet to plenty of nice trees as a kid for ignorance. Now i teach my kid to grade a tree and never mark one up that doesnt need to be removed.  Boys need to swing an axe and see the chips fly.. I just make sure he knows how to pick a good cull and do me a favor instead of wreck a stave.  

I remember my first time getting to ride a dirtbike maybe 10yrs old.. on the "trails" that everyone rode on.  Nothing special pine woods covered in needles, nothing to rip up, no signage.  Some grown man came out screaming his head off that it was boyscout land, veins out foaming at the mouth.  Like i was burning it down or something.  

Flipn jerk, how would i even know?  Its 50 feet from my friends backyard with absolutely no boundary.   That was all the experience with scouts i ever needed to want no part of it, what a bad representative.  There was a missed chance to influence a kid for the better.  

The day that kids turn up in my woods on toys i will say cmon boys lets build a track so i can keep tabs on them and steer them to not become the teenage thief neighbors in a few years.  Turn those young liabilities into assets.

The years i spent building BMX doubles in the woods i wasnt doing drugs and neither were the 20 other regular kids at the track.  But eh hole ronnie belview ran us off with veins popping out of his head because the trail to get there which was there before he was born i bet, just couldnt stand kids near his property.  Adults can suck.  

When places for bicycles and dirtbikes and skateboards went away i got into quiet stuff you could do anywhere.  Drinkin and drugging.

As to ripping up a planted field i can say i have never done it on purpose and if i ever crossed one it was ignorance.. There wasnt much agriculture.  all it woulda took to keep me out of one would be a plywood sign saying "this field is seeded, please stay off it."  

Maybe kids are different now, i dunno.  Mine would obey that sign for sure.
Big difference in a 10 year old on a 70 cc dirt bike to a 16 year old on a 1000 xmr all decked out to swamp and is getting drunk driving it around. Thatís what happens around here. Itís the teenager kids, not the under 12 kids. Kid or no kid though, youíre trespassing, that calls for at the very least a stern not so kind warning from me, then if I see you again, I certainly wonít be happy. I rode atvs starting at just 5 and  sadly trespassed many times, the land I avoided was always the peopleís who would come out yelling, when I did go over their land Iíd boogie as fast as possible while also trying to feather to throttle to not make noise or make a mark on the ground for no evidence lol 
Circle of life
Building the land of my dreams.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »
Liability issues have made it very difficult to get insurance coverage and the price of the policy keeps rising at an alarming rate. Everything seems to be an ďattractive nuisance ď now.  I had to go with a secondary underwriter a couple years back after being with Nationwide for many years. I used to have a farm, but now itís the most dangerous place in the US.  Attorney advises to refuse permission to anyone and warn away trespassers at any opportunity. 

Online peakbagger

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2021, 05:27:01 PM »
Up in NH, we have a recreational liability law. As long as we do not post no trespassing we cannot be sued for anyone getting injured on the property. The exclusions are really thin basically unless the owner leaves a deliberate trap they are not liable. Lawyers on occasion try to get their foot in the door but it rarely makes it to court as the person suing gets to pay the fees for the owner if it gets thrown out. Attractive nuisances dont fly.

Snowmobile and ATV use is restricted on private property to written permission only so clubs need to get permission to build trails on private property, the clubs have to carry blanket liability insurance to cover the landowner if there is an issue.

Landowner Liability | New Hampshire Fish and Game Department

This exclusion has been held to be very narrow.

(a) For willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against a dangerous condition, use, structure or activity;

I carry blanket personal liability anyhow.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »
   I read the link and it is as you posted but it looks to me like this is backwards. I'd think you would not be liable if you posted your property and a trespasser later came on and got hurt. I think that is the reason many people post their property to reduce their risk if someone gets hurt while on there without their permission. They tend to get liability releases from people they do allow on their property.

It seems NH is trying to encourage landowners to allow others to use their property for reasonable and respectful purposes and protects them from law suit if they do so. Good for them.

I have posted my property to protect me from liability and to keep people from interfering with my hunting during the hunting season. While technically illegal if a neighbor shot a deer and it ran on to my property I would never complain or prosecute if they "trespassed" on my land to come recover it. I'd expect that out of any decent and respectful (to the wildlife) hunter as their moral obligation. Of course if they just called or asked me I'd take Sampson and my ATV up and help him look for it and drag it out. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2021, 07:05:21 PM »
I am the man with bulging veins looking to run you off. My land was paid for with sweat and sacrifice. I gladly share but those who think they can take without permission deserve a special place in hell and I will go to great lengths to send them. 

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2021, 08:27:05 PM »
I once heard about a scrap yard owner who came to his yard and 2 guys were in the building to burglarize and their pickup parked nearby. The owner fired up a forklift and put the pickup on the roof of the building. I'd have paid to be able to see the expression on their faces.

Offline dogone

• Just beginning and lots to learn
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2021, 09:20:56 PM »
    Many interesting replyís. I am in western Canada and have several thousand acres of farmland. Lots of people hunt my land . What I do find curious is American hunters. They come from states with a lot of serious trespass laws and angry landowners. Yet here they feel free to hunt and wander at will. Not all but some. I am not a screamer or cop caller but they do annoy me.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
Those are the same hunters that ignore trespass laws and posted signs here. There are many here that respect private property and quite a few that donít. Neither group is going to change their habits when they come to Canada. Youíre just seeing a bunch of the bad guys because you wonít see the good guys acting that way and hunting your property without permission. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2021, 09:51:05 PM »
Yup - it's the same everywhere.  Had a group of hunters from PA that owned a camp and a few hundred acres behind my old farm and every year I would find them driving deer on my farm, every year.  It was a messed up situation as there was something like 12 owners / heirs to the property.  One year several of the wives decided they were sick of it and decided to sell it, turns out I was the only adjoining landowner who had road frontage as the right of way they had was never perfected.  I made out all right on that deal.  

The funny thing was that the phone line going to the camp was served by a different phone company than the one that served my house and it was a toll call from one to the other so I would tell people my farm was so big that it was a long distance call from one side to the other, and I was not making that up!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2021, 12:02:41 AM »
I was a land access rep in mass for a big 4wd association at one time.  Im just about certain every new england state has their own form of "hold harmless" law. All with a different name and details naturally.   The jist of them is if you arent charging for recreational access you arent liable.  Maybe 12 years ago when i got out of it they were well known to be very well upheld in protecting landowners interest.  Was basically the first thing you showed to a landowner when you were begging for permission. 

Circle of life is a good way to put it.  Im sure i was the butthole then and am still the butthole now.  Just that the shoe is on the other foot now.  Nothing against scouts either.  But i remember thinking they got their own woods and DONT like dirtbikes?  Pfft.  Next.  
Isaiah 48:10

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:51 AM »
Having had more than a few trail cams vandalized I have been putting them higher up; a little more concealed as well as impossible to reach without aid of a ladder. I just ordered one of these fancy gadgets to keep from further Forestry Forum policy violations regarding the use of ladders as I have had more than a few way too close calls with ladders on uneven ground in the middle of nowhere.

Spy High Mounts ? Trail Camera Mounting System

A little pricey but they do offer an adapter if you supply your own broomstick or painters pole instead of the pricey aluminum extendable ones in their kit. Much more economical than a ladder accident. Made in the USA too.

Offline olcowhand

• I'm new- ish!
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2021, 09:15:06 AM »

No, Howard; It's not just you. I agree.
Steve
They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »
We just bought land across the road from us.  I know that one of the people down the road had been trespassing on this land with his side by side.  I think he only quit doing it because the side by side broke down.  His yard is a junk yard.  We will be posting the land with no trespassing signs and purple paint this fall or winter.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

moved
MOVED: Dealing with trespassers - the down home way

Started by Roxie on General Board

0 Replies
Last post February 03, 2015, 06:28:02 AM
by Roxie
xx
What am I dealing with here?

Started by Ugly Tree on Drying and Processing

3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 01:14:02 PM
by Ugly Tree