iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Little things we don't think about.

Started by customsawyer, January 31, 2018, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I was on my way home this afternoon and it was just a normal day. Returning customers calls and looking through the windshield.
Well I ended up talking to several of my friends that I have meet through the forum. We shared information and ideas the same as we do on a regular basis. It occurred to me that it is amazing the number of times each day/week/month that I call and talk to these same friends and how much we help each other with what ever we are going through.
I know I don't post much and most here  probably don't even know who I am but I am extremely grateful for this forum, and the friends I have made here. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

The folks I have meet through this forum have helped me more than they will ever know:)
I'm very greatfull for it to.
I'm building a good business with the mill.
I call some and get great answers and advise.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

caveman

Jake, I had to drive to your place to meet FF members.  I intend to do so again and look forward to the occasion.  I have learned a ton from you and many others.  Thank you for hosting another project and providing us the opportunity for fellowship and the opportunity to share knowledge and experiences with each other. 
Kyle
Caveman

Dakota

I don't post much, but I'm here every morning checking out what everyone is up to.  I think there are a lot of members like me, who really enjoy the FF members who post, and mostly Jeff, for keeping it going.

Dakota
Dave Rinker

Andries

Jake; great post.
I think back on the short eight years I've been a sawmill owner and realize that my operation would still be in diapers if it wasn't for the Forum.

This community of like minded folks has been nurtured along by the efforts of many people, and clearly led by Jeff.
Jake shared excellent advice on my operation circus five years ago, which gave me the gittyup to keep on keeping' on.
A great guy named Nomad from Jacksonville gave me his pants at a pig roast in Michigan. He musta seen that I was cold.  ;)
WDH can tell me about closed tyloses in oak and Yellowhammer is the kinda guy ALL of us can look up to.
The list of people that I can tease, joke with or call on for advice is endless - because of the Forum.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

porcupine

FF is the most civil board I've seen on the web.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Grizzly

Andries - you don't post much for pictures, but when you do ........... wow. What you up to there that you're holding out on?? I got a friend in Steinbach I gotta visit and it looks like you'll be on the list too. What time of year is your yard most active?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

firefighter ontheside

Several years ago, my friend Andy who I met on a woodworking forum told me about the forestry forum.  I joined it, but wasn't active.  Some here may know Andy as FF member GFADVM.  Andy has been dealing with brain cancer for several years now and can't type anymore, so he doesn't use a computer anymore.  Last October, Andy asked me if I wanted to inherit his LT15.  I had been planning to take some logs and use his mill while I was there to visit.  I live in central Missouri and Andy near Tulsa Ok.  So instead of logs, I took my empty trailer and came home with a sawmill. 

It's amazing the friends you can make on a site such as this.  He GAVE me his sawmill.  I'm very excited and honored to have it.  Since then I have become very active on FF so I can learn as much as possible to be able to be the best sawmill operator I can be.  Folks here have helped me with ideas for setting up my mill, putting a roof over it and building a log loading system.

Thank you all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Josef

I'm probably like most members here in that I don't post often, but I check the forum with my coffee every morning, even when I'm on the road. This group of like minded individuals is such a refreshing environment it empowers my day, puts a positive slant on my mindset and gets me ready for what is ahead. Thank you all for this place to rest, relax and dream of whats inside the next log. I don't get as much time to rum my mill as I'd like, but get my "fix" here every morning. I've never failed to get an answer to any question I've asked, and have always been treated with friendship and respect, another thank you for that. Keep on keeping on, love being here with you guys and gals,

Joe

In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

customsawyer

Quote from: firefighterontheside on February 01, 2018, 11:56:18 AM
Several years ago, my friend Andy who I met on a woodworking forum told me about the forestry forum.  I joined it, but wasn't active.  Some here may know Andy as FF member GFADVM.  Andy has been dealing with brain cancer for several years now and can't type anymore, so he doesn't use a computer anymore.  Last October, Andy asked me if I wanted to inherit his LT15.  I had been planning to take some logs and use his mill while I was there to visit.  I live in central Missouri and Andy near Tulsa Ok.  So instead of logs, I took my empty trailer and came home with a sawmill. 

It's amazing the friends you can make on a site such as this.  He GAVE me his sawmill.  I'm very excited and honored to have it.  Since then I have become very active on FF so I can learn as much as possible to be able to be the best sawmill operator I can be.  Folks here have helped me with ideas for setting up my mill, putting a roof over it and building a log loading system.

Thank you all.

My son and his family live in Broken Arrow. Would like to stop in and meet him next time I'm there.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Andries, thanks for the compliment and WOW, what a building!  Very impressive.

I have certainly benefited from the Forum, as much as anybody,  I learn new things every day, and hopefully can pass on to others some of the things I've learned.

When I first bought my mill, the only ones I could talk to about it was the dog and the mill, who weren't very good conversationalists.  Now I can lean on the folks of the Forum, many of whom have been there and done that, and are willing to share.  I've made some good friends here and would like to meet and make more.   

One thing I've learned is that everyone has something to offer, no matter what their experience level.  Its more about the people, than about milling. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

Let me know when you're in Broken Arrow and I can see if he's up for visitors.  He's been having some complications from the three brain surgeries he's had.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

123maxbars

I can relate also, my business has grown and still growing due to members, best resource around for this type of work,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Andries

Grizzly - Thanks for the compliment. I'm just one guy in our team, a bit like Timber Kings.  With accents and attitudes.  we build'em and ship'em. Right now the Logyard is near empty and I'm producing interior millwork.
I've got to be discrete about what I show on the FF, cause many of our clients value their privacy.
I'd think a visit would be terrific, C'mon down!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

longtime lurker

Me too. Geographically I'm about as isolated from most of you as it can get. But I've always felt at home here because we all have the sawdust disease to some degree. I've learnt a few things from some of you, shared a few things I've learnt with others. even contemplated telling Jake to do another chicken last week... Mary's stateside with the grandkids and for work and when you come out of this place Rentz Ga is just a hop skip and a jump away from Dallas.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

customsawyer

Come on we'll find something to through on the grill. Excuse me barbie.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

I think next pig roast should be at a 1/2 way location?

Rarotonga? 

Middle of the Pacific, and we have some contacts there. I'm sure they can hook us up with a pig  ;) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

yeah... bit like that Ian.

The brides been away for 4 months, time for me to go see her for a week soon and I see Jakes thing and it was just like... instead of going Cairns - Sydney - Dallas or Cairns - Auckland - LA - Dallas, I  could go Cairns - Tokyo - Atlanta and that just leaves me 100 mile of freeway to terrorize them all on  ;D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

WDH

Quote from: firefighterontheside on February 01, 2018, 11:56:18 AM
Some here may know Andy as FF member GFADVM.  Andy has been dealing with brain cancer for several years now and can't type anymore, so he doesn't use a computer anymore. 

Thank you for the update on Andy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

goose63

I don't post a lot on here but this Forum is like home to me.

I have some good friends throught the Fourm and hope to make more

Thank you Jeff and all who keep this Forum a top notch place to belong to be
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!