iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New jointer advice

Started by addysdaddy, October 03, 2015, 03:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addysdaddy

Just received a new to me jointer and need some advice on setup. It is an older jet model. Purchased new 7 plus years ago and never used. 

The last owner had it set to take an 1/8 inch bite... I changed it to only take 1/32 bite so as not to take too much. 

Really works great making boards flat and square

Problem is it takes more at the start of the board and the board ends narrower by 1/16 inch from start to finish over a 6 foot board. The off feed table looks to be set properly but the manual leaves a lot to be desired... Over to the experts... Thanx 8)
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

beenthere

Appears to be a problem with the off-feed table, and the blades are not set at the correct height with respect to that table.
Lay a small piece of wood on the off-table and rotate the head by hand. See if the knives contact that board and move it.

If they do, then I believe the off-table is too high. If they do not, then it is too low (or just right).

After that, put a straight edge on the off-table and see if the on-table is parallel with it. Must be to joint straight the full length.

This video may help you too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjusFHcg_Jo

Hope I've got that right for you. If not, others will chime in ...  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

addysdaddy

8) LOL. that's the exact video I used to set up this afternoon. it worked exactly as described it just seems to have a more aggressive bite at the start and fade as it gets farther along the board. .  ???. I may have to go back to the beginning to see if the original owner missed tightening a screw..,. thanx for the link... lets me know i'm on the right track.
Trying to think of something Cool to say kinda defeats the purpose.
LT10
Kioti with winch.
Husqvarna fan

1938farmall

as beenthere says, adjust the outfeed table to be exactly tangent to the blades and the tables must be parallel.  raise the infeed table to the same height as the outfeed & check across both of them with a long straightedge.  i'm guessing you will see your problem.  when feeding material you always want to hold it tight to the infeed table (not the outfeed).  if your outfeed table is low at the far end it would produce a cut such as you describe.
aka oldnorskie

Just Me

To be clear, a jointer is not a planer. It will not make boards that are of uniform thickness. Their only task in life is to make one side flat at the expense of the other side. First you joint, then you plane.

So..... if the side that you run across the cutter is flat, it is doing its job. If it is not flat or reasonably so, then you have to adjust.

Also, all jointers that I use "sound" like they are taking a big cut at the beginning, even my current SCM. It I suspect is only because the wood is only supported on one end for the first few inches. Think a reed in a horn. They make the same sort of noise at the end. Not to worry.......

So if this is all just academic and the jointer is not cutting a flat on your stock, if the curve is up. the knives are too high, if the curve is down the knives are too low assuming that your tables are relatively close to being on the same plane, infeed and out feed. That would be a whole nuther discussion.

Nice little machine! It will serve you well.......

Larry

Thank You Sponsors!