iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Cherry

Started by Dixiebonsai, August 15, 2015, 12:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dixiebonsai

Any of you gentlemen like to use Black Cherry for firewood?I am lucky in that I live next to a 1400 acre farm. I have a good relationship with the gentleman that owns it. He is a 80 year old big time farmer that just wont quit, he will not retire to a rocking chair.Heck he just bought another small farm. I ask permission about things, stay out of his crops and treat his land respect and he lets me cut wood , ride my four wheeler etc etc,
He owns a bulldozer and like a lot of framers he is trying to get the most of every square foot of land he owns. It bothers me sometimes that farmers are knocking down so much timber but it is their land. Also when he knocks it down Im right in there behind them with a chainsaw, firewood bonanza.I do hate to see my beautiful Tennessee turned into Kansas, no offense to Kansas
Today I rode to the very back of his property and sitting right on top of a dozer pile is a monster black cherry tree.I have burnt it before.It splits very easy and smells wonderful when it burns.Made my mind go to work on how to go about getting it out of that pile and skidded to more flat ground to be cut up without getting hurt.Its on a steep ridge now.
  I have heard that the leaves and berries are poisonous, that they contain cyanide.That it can make livestock sick and livestock farmers are encouraged to get rid of it.I wonder if sawing and burning the logs could have ill effects on us?

beenthere

Berries are edible... don't eat the seeds.

QuoteLike apricots, the seeds of black cherries contain compounds that can be converted into cyanide, such as amygdalin.[14][15] These compounds release hydrogen cyanide when the seed is ground or minced, which releases enzymes that break down the compounds. These enzymes include amygdalin beta-glucosidase, prunasin beta-glucosidase and mandelonitrile lyase.[16] In contrast, although the flesh of cherries also contain these compounds, they do not contain the enzymes needed to produce cyanide, so the flesh is safe to eat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

I think the cyanide can get concentrated in dead leaves (from a fallen limb or tree), and if your cattle eat those, they can could enough cyanide to be poisoned.

Birds that eat cherries manage to let the seeds pass through their system intact, so they are OK. The seed is still viable, and has been dumped in a new location, so it's a win / win there.  As Beenthere said, the fruit is edible, but spit out the stone. 

I don't think there is any specific danger with the wood?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

petefrom bearswamp

I have burned lots of Cherry with no ill effects.
It is OK but does not have the BTU content of harder woods.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

My fav for smoking pork.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gspren

The leaves are poisonous for a few days while wilting but ok before and after.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dixiebonsai

Quote from: WDH on August 15, 2015, 07:26:24 AM
My fav for smoking pork.

So you use Black Cherry on pork?If so, I guess the poison part does phase you a bit. Never thought of it, because we have so much Hickory around here. Thought I would ask and clarify your not using red cherry wood, your using Black Cherry?I would like to try it if so.

Corley5

I just sold a pickup load of black cherry destined for a BBQer in Ohio.  He got some a year ago and won a couple awards  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

bucknwfl

You will never use hickory or pecan again
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WDH

Prunus serotina.  Black cherry.  Yes, for BBQ.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I got the same kind of cherry here. BUT mine don't get to really any size,crooked and I mean crooked and most times has ants in it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pabst79

X2 on the black cherry for pork and chicken. I really enjoy throwing a chunk in the wood boiler when I'm working outside, makes the whole area smell nice. I find it burns hot with good btu output.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

21incher

Works good for smoking, but if you find a small black cherry tree with berries, they make the best tasting jelly. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

whitepine2

Quote from: 21incher on August 16, 2015, 06:59:08 PM
Works good for smoking, but if you find a small black cherry tree with berries, they make the best tasting jelly. :)
And wine! :) :) 8) 8)

Warped

I smoke pork butts and grill ribeyes and chicken with cherry all year. All I've read said to make sure it's well seasoned or could possibly be toxic......
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

BenTN

i swear by black cherry mixed with shagbark hickory for bbq.

Warped

Just smoked a butt for 17 hours for today- black cherry and some oak, I'm still here, a little goofy but here.
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Thank You Sponsors!