iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

XL 4 head moulder

Started by fstedy, March 25, 2008, 04:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

Does anyone know anything about this machine? Its similar in size to the logasol PH260. I think the capicity is about 6" in width.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Ironwood

older units come and go a few a year (I see them sell I should say), most seem to be $1000 and up, some have brought $2000, it depends upon what acessories they have (#extra heads and knives). Not a real impressive machine but seem to be priced right. I think they have some serious limitations, you should track some one down who know them. I have a "friend" in Ohio who buys and sells them, i will PM you.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Larry

Manufactured by Smithway, Stetson Ross, and somebody else...I can't remember.  Size was either 4" X 2" or 6" X 2".  It was a very popular machine for small door and sash companies...some would have multiply machines cranking out softwood sash by the thousands of feet.  Lot of choices for power...3 phase or single phase.  Feed rate was by maybe a 3-speed pulley.  Three drawbacks...it is only a 4 head, the heads are only supported on one side, and parts are hard to come by.  It will produce quality moulding...but a 5 head machine is better.  I'm not a fan of Logasol...no more said.

For your viewing pleasure this is one of several that have followed me home.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

fstedy

I am looking for a machine to run T&G Oak flooring in narrow widths 4" and under. Any reccomendations for a reasonably priced machine? They are asking $1400 for this one.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.

oakiemac

I own an XL 4 head from stetson ross. Good machine but requires a lot of setup time. They have a small foot print and lots of power. I am just getting into using my machine. I want to use it for T&G. I have worked with a guy with an exact machine that I have and he produced some really nice floor and paneling with it from 2-5.5" wide.
Most of them that I have seen go for about $3000. So $1400 is a good price if the motors arent burned up and its in good shape.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Larry

I've seen em sell for upwards of $3,000 also.  I parted one out that brought more than $1,400.

I've not ran much hardwood with my machine...it has spit out lots of softwood...mostly deck railing.

Harder to find than the machines is the manuals.  I have a pdf for the operating manual and also the knife grinding manual.  Be happy to email a copy...if I can figure out how to email a pdf or maybe send it snail mail. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

fstedy

I have decided to pass on this machine. Haven't looked at it but its available on the South New Jersey Craigslist under tools about 5 or 6 days ago. Here's the link to it.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/612699029.html

Justin L

This company has parts & manuals for the old Paulson & Xl type moulders.
I have a 1962 Paulson 2x4 moulder, it DOES take a lot of time to set up for a crown or T&G. For S4S, it takes about 5 or 10 minutes to change from one width to another(if your not changing any heads AND it was already set for S4S. One day I'll have a Weinig...:)

www.tylermachine.com
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

twobears

can anybody point me to a 2x6 model that's  for sale?? I need something to plane 2x4 and 2x6 four sides at once..the planers I have now are one sided and way to slow.

TKehl

Only 2x4.

Smithway XL

Saw one on Ebay as well.  Don't recall size.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Larry

Joplin Missouri craigslist  Not my machine and know nothing about it.

Darrel

About 40 years ago a company I worked for picked one up and it became my job to set it up. It was a pain in the tail side to set up. No vertical adjustment in the side heads coupled with no way to index vertical height of knives in side heads made alignment of such things as t&g a nightmare. Also the side heads are directly across from each other and the side guides are only 3 - 4 inches long. This makes fighting with side snipe a constant issue. 

If you don't mind constantly fiddling with your moulder, you can turn out some nice product. A better choice and a machine that is slightly bigger is a moulder made by Paulson. Google it. Prices start at about $4,000. It is my understanding that the Paulson moulder had its roots in the XL. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

TKehl

Larry, I saw that one and wondered if it belonged to Ozark Gem.  Haven't seen him on in a while, but he's from "pert near" there.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!