iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle l3

Started by Ricker, March 02, 2018, 05:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricker

All I know about kilns is what have read on the forum.  And most of it probably not absorbed.  But a guy I know cleaned out his fathers laws cellar and garages and came across an l33.  It's got to be 30 years old, was in a insulated box trailer when in use 20 years ago, been in dry storage since.  He wants to sell it to me, of course he said will give me a good deal but has no idea what he wants for it.   It seems like good shape for the age, no other fans or equipment just the kiln and control box.  Is something this old worth messing with or if I can get it for a 100 -200 bucks grab it and hope for the best.  Any thoughts appreciated.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The NYLE L33 compressor is of low value, as the seals are dried or worn.  Plus, today we use a different refrigerant gas but there are substitutes that will work.  You may need a new circulating fan motor ($350).  It is likely too expensive to get into working order.  Maybe you can get a deal where you will pay $500 minus the cost of getting it in working order.  Incidentally, compare it to the L50 made today...it is actually a little bit better.  A new equal unit will run around $3500.  You may have controls with a % run timer...not too good today.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

Hey Gene
The L50 has been out of production for about 8-10 years, the new unit is the L53.

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!