iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nyle l53

Started by Joey Grimes, March 08, 2016, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

Finally ordered the l53 today now to decide if I'm going to pour slab or frame a floor ? My initial plan was to build chamber to dry 16 foot material but after talking to Stan with nyle I think about 12 foot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

GAB

Personally I would built such, that I could move it or sell it in the future should I want a larger unit.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tree Dan

You must be happy with the new kiln on the way 8)
I too would frame the floor and put it on 8x8 skids.
Then you can move it around if needed.
Congrats!
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

WDH

No matter how wide you make it, someone is going to want lumber that is 2' longer  :).

You just have to draw a line in the sand (old saying).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Remember you will have to baffle the sides so it needs to be tight to your stacks.  What size do you normally produce?  Kilns don't really lend themselves to random length wood. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

xlogger

If you are going to want to dry 12 ft lengths you better make it 13 ft or a little longer inside measurements.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

bkaimwood

Hey Joey...u guys get away with murder down there.. I'm jealous!!! Frost line? What's that? I'd frame it as mentioned. Up here, no choice... Concrete pad to start. My redneck kiln had a framed floor, and I'm constantly string lining bases before I stack...it always changes, never stops, tired if fighting...concrete pad is in the future?!!
bk

YellowHammer

A flat floor is your friend, and that's most easily achieved with concrete.  If you are drying grade lumber, especially.  If the floor moves, dips, sags or ripples, the result is the same in the lumber. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Joey Grimes

We usally cut 8-10-12 foot lengths I think we are going with the concrete pad foundation .I'll probably make a end  baffle for any pack under 12 foot. One thing I want to use kiln for is drying cypress to 15% for exterior siding .I've missed out on lots of orders because I couldn't keep enough air dry materal in stock .How long should 4/4cypress take from green to 15%?
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

Probably about 60 days depending on season.  Would go faster with fans. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Quote from: bkaimwood on March 09, 2016, 08:15:17 PM
Hey Joey...u guys get away with murder down there.. I'm jealous!!! Frost line? What's that? I'd frame it as mentioned. Up here, no choice... Concrete pad to start. My redneck kiln had a framed floor, and I'm constantly string lining bases before I stack...it always changes, never stops, tired if fighting...concrete pad is in the future?!!

If you made a really stout floor out of very large timbers, do you think that it would stay flat even with the frost moving it?
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

He does not have to worry about frost heave in Moundville, AL.  Heat heave, maybe  :D.

Joey Grimes

I meant how long to dry 4/4 cypress in the kiln from green to 15%?

WDH

Maybe a week, maybe a little less if you don't sterilize the load. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sinker cypress,, which comes from the butt log and is much higher in MC than the rest of the tree (called sinker because the high MC means that the logs will not float in water) takes longer.  Sinker is more prone to checking and takes longer.  Thicker takes longer...1.0" compared to 1-1/8 for 4/4.  A higher initial MC takes longer.  Green-from-the-saw takes longer compared to air dried, even if air dried for a few warm days.  Drying so that the driest piece is 15% MC and the rest is above that is shorter, but drying so that the wettest is 15% MC and the rest drier takes longer.  If you want the driest pieces to be no drier than 13% MC and the wettest no higher than 15% MC, this takes longer.  So what exactly do you have and want?

Keep in mind that cypress, especially sinker, is prone to checking if dried too fast.  We cannot dry it as fast as pine...maybe 1/4 the speed.

Overall, you might be looking at 2 to 4 weeks, but it depends...
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

In my L53, I can dry green pine to 7 - 8% in 8 days. 

bkaimwood

Quote from: 4x4American on March 09, 2016, 10:43:23 PM
Quote from: bkaimwood on March 09, 2016, 08:15:17 PM

If you made a really stout floor out of very large timbers, do you think that it would stay flat even with the frost moving it?
Sadly, 4x4, no...and where I live, if anyone tells you different, they are flat out wrong. Statewide footer code for frostline here is 36"... The last two winters have had some crazy record breaking lows, for a long time... So IMO, our frostline here in PA should be updated to more like central/northern NY, 42"... Depending on where you're at. I've seen plenty of stuff move at 36" here...
bk

xlogger

Danny, how many BF of 4/4 green pine can you load in the kiln to dry in a week.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!