iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

storing logs

Started by brdmkr, July 14, 2005, 10:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

As many know, I have a Lucas 618 coming 8).  What you may not know is that I want to clear some land and build a shed to house this thing when not in use.  So, I need to cut down some trees, then clear the land for a shed and a pole barn.   This means I'll have a bunch of logs on the ground at one time.  Given that I will only be able to saw on Saturdays and after work, what is the best way to store the logs to minimize degrade in the lumber.

Sorry for asking beginner questions.   Wait, no I'm not.  I AM a beginner ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

Logs that are constantly wet (fewer bugs) remain in better condition, longer than logs that are allowed to dry (split).

Logs that are wet and and then dry, then wet, then dry, etc., will rot quickly.

The very best thing is to saw the logs quickly.
The best place for a log to be stored for as much as a year, is under water in a pond.
The next best thing is for a pile of logs to be off of the ground and sprinkled constantly.

Some wood will remain pristine longer than other woods.  Species, climate, cleanliness, time of year, geographical area, all of these things have something to do with the length of time a log will last.

A month is probably safe for the bulk of your wood if you aren't concerned about non-strength robbing stain.

DanG

What kind of trees are ya gonna cut?  How many?  Best thing for the lumber would be to leave'm standing till you're ready to saw them, but that may not be possible, given your plans for a shed.  Whatcha doing this weekend??
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jason_WI

Only saw down what you can cut in a weekend. Probably not what you wanted to hear but the best way to store trees for long periods of time is if they are still alive :D

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

brdmkr

Dang

A little bit of everything but mostly water oaks.  I'm going to need about a 150 yard road and all the trees in the way will have to be removed.  Then, I'll have to clear a spot for my shop and a pole barn.  Really, after the road is in, I can cut and then mill without any lag time as sugegsted by Jason.  I can have the dozer work done after the trees are milled.  The trees that are cut for the road, may take some time for me to handle.  

This weekend I'll be building a little shed to store the mill in at my current address.  Nothing fancy, just a 4 pole, pole barn.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

I'd like to come up for a look-see, sometimes soon.  I'm no expert logger, but I might can provide a little insight, or at least some fresh ideas.  Sounds like you're in for a heap of work!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

most of the hardwoods will do fine for even up to a year, though the wood will change.  Pine in over 70 degree weather will go bad instantly though won't hurt for stuctural use just blue black stain then worm holes.  On the hard wood cut them a little longer if you are not going to paint them so the end checks wont bother ya.  Save the good quality logs in one pile and cut them as soon as you can and then the lower quality in another and just let them sit till ya get an order for dunnage or you need some say 6x6 to pillar something up.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mometal77

There are some great posts in search.  Endless knowledge best thing i got out of them is to spray the logs down with water so they dont crack and keep in a shady spot off the ground.
thanks guys for the great knowledge.
bob
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!