iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Preservative

Started by Djs5017, August 06, 2022, 01:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Djs5017

Hello experienced folks!

I'm getting reading to build a two story addition to my cabin, and unlike the previous build, I'll be using timbers and framing I've squared up at the camp with my hobby bandsaw.

It's a pier and beam foundation, with 4x10 red pine beams on concrete piers spaced every 4 feet.

The timbers will be as close as 12 inches from the ground, and I'd like to know what everyone's topical preservative of choice is.

The timbers are superficially dry, so I think they'll take something nicely, as long as it isn't latex.

I'm mostly looking at a copper or borax type product.

Central PA, conifer woodland environment.

Cheers and Thanks,

Dustin

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kantuckid

Those mentioned above will not protect wood that's 12" from the ground against splash or snow. Even with a substantial overhang I'd want more protection. Neither is a moisture effective material. Truth is that at 12" from grade I'm uncertain what makes wood last very long? Sounds like an area of exposure where PT to ground contact levels has a purpose.
My cabin project I went with a 24" minimum above grade for my concrete piers which are 6x10 oak beams horizontal bolted to the piers. I also flashed them from the subfloor for exposure which will be covered by superficial slabs for esthetics when done. I also used a semi-solid dark pigmented stain on the beams as they waited for the joists and floor system. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Joe Hillmann

A large overhang.  I am planing for a 10 foot overhang all around my cabin in the form of a wrap around porch on all 4 sides.  My hope is the cabin logs should very rarely see any moisture.

Thank You Sponsors!