iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Singing The Blue Pine Blues

Started by WDH, August 24, 2015, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Yes, all sapwood at the age of these trees, which is about 29 years of age. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Nice work !
Barn doors are in !
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

21incher

Nice door. Is the main panel glued up or floating?  I built one like that years ago that I glued up and it would warp as the seasons changed because of all the different grain directions. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bandmill Bandit

This pic is part of the kids remodel project in the home they Bought in May. ALL the wood for this fire place and a wall in progress right now came from a large tree on their mobile home lot that I sawed up a couple of years ago. I think I posted a video link of the sawing of that tree.

I was quite surprised how much blueish grey we ended up with in this aspen.
It is finishing up real nice.

Will post a few more pic of completed project when they are available.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

WDH

Bandit,

That is a nice use of some wood with character.

The panel is glued and it floats in dado grooves inside the frame.  The groove is 1" deep, and the panel extends 3/4" inside the groove, leaving a free space of 1/4" on each side for seasonal movement of the panel. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Not sure what weight it carries, but have heard from ole timer wood workers that the blue in pine and the associated (rot) is a myth, one customer loves it and buys all I have when I get it. It is most definitely a work of art in my view. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

I sell all the blue pine that I can get, and right now, I am about out.  I have some older logs that have had the bark fall off.  I sawed some and there is some blue ranging from 50% in the outer shell boards to almost none in the center of the log.  So, I am helping nature out a bit to get more blue.  I have tried several approaches to make the logs bluer all the way from just sawing and leaving the lumber dead stacked for a while in the summer heat, from sawing cants and leaving the cants stacked outside under a tree for four of five months, but the best so far has been to let a dead pine stand on the stump for a good while.  I did try once to cover a stack of fresh sawn pine with a tarp, and it worked pretty good, but I don't think I left it under the tarp long enough.  

So, I am trying that approach again.  The boards already have some blue, so I know the fungus is there, so I stickered the boards off the sawmill onto a pallet.

I put the pallet in a part of the yard that will get full sun all day and tarped it.  I will let it cook in the heat and humidity for at least three weeks, maybe four this time and try out this recipe.  I believe that you get better results by stickering than dead stacking because stickering lets the hot humid air get between all the layers and give the boards maximum exposure under the tarp.  That is my hypothesis.

The time that I stacked the cants worked OK, but not nearly what I wanted.  These cants were sawn from fresh logs, so they had not been inoculated with the fungus by ambrosia beetles when first sawn.  After sawing and stacking, the ambrosia beetles did get in and leave those signature black lined holes, but the amount of blue was not what I wanted.  Here are the stacked cants.  I watered them once a day to keep them wet for about a week or so.  

They stayed stacked like this from mid-July to mid-October.Then I sawed them.  About 85% came out like this.

Not bad, but not what I wanted.  About 15% came out like this.

Now this is more of what I am looking for.  Here is a project where my blue pine was used as paneling in a Church Youth Center.  

This is the goal.

caveman

I sawed 15-20 slash and llolbllollly logs Wednesday afternoon that gave up quite a bit of blue pine.  They had been sitting around a bit too long.  They have a great color but they also have some borers in them.  They are sticker stacked and I'll see what they do over the next few weeks.  If they don't turn out well, I got a good workout on the Accuset II which paid off yesterday and today when sawing dimensional lumber.

Coincidently, Jmoores uncle needs quite a bit of blue pine to do the inside of his cabin.  I hope what I sawed Wednesday turns out decent.  Most was sawn at 1"x8".

Caveman

YellowHammer

I'm hopeful you guys crack the blue pine code, because my results have been as erratic as a one eyed drunken chicken.

The one thing I did find is that if I don't dessicate the big pine borer grubs enough in the kiln, the ants will come get the leftovers.   :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Again with the chicken reference.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

You fellas still haven't figured out, that the best way to get pine to turn blue, is to try not to!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Woodpecker52

fine line between blue stain and just plain ole bug infested!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

Cooking in the Georgia heat.  smiley_sun popcorn_smiley

Barbender, I think that you may have the key to the whole issue.  I am trying too hard to mess it up ;D. 

YellowHammer

I got it to work correctly once, maybe twice in a as many years.  Deep blue colors, no bugs to speak of, and 
I sold it before I knew it.  Tried it again, and again, and well, again, and never as good.  

I even went to the log yard and marked all the pine logs that were deep blue on the end.  I thought I had it made when they were loaded on my trailer and driven home.  How hard could this be?  When I cut them on the mill, the blue only went about a foot from the end.  So then I had wood I couldn't sell as blue pine and couldn't sell as clean pine.  So I just turned it into pallets.  What a dud.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bruno of NH

This time of year my fresh cut white pine blues right after I mill it almost.
The winter cut pine wont.
Blue .
If I peal the bark on the pine the bugs stay out of it.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

You want the ambrosia beetles with the little black holes for character. 

caveman

What moisture content are you drying your pine for interior use to, 6-8%?  Most of the pine logs I have now (above water) have 10-12" heartwood and the sapwood is iffy so I doubt I will get much usable blue pine out of it.
Caveman

WDH

8% is the target.  4/4 for pine furniture and paneling and etc.  I don't deliberately saw construction grade pine lumber.  Too cheap to go buy it at the store.  I do cut some custom beams, but they go out green, not dried. 

caveman

Thanks, Danny.  John and I are going to provide his uncle with some pine to do the floor and walls in his cabin. 
Caveman

WDH

LeeB

These have been down about 6 months. Free, just come get them. I'll see I f can get them if he still has them when I home. Said he would have another pile like that this winter. Might be full of beetles by now though.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

6 months might mean they were cut too early.  The sap needs to be flowing before they will stain.  I have had winter logs sit for a long time and then when I cut into them there was barely any stain at all.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Actually, that would suit me too. I need some construction lumber. Mostly why I'm interested in it. But, if it's blue I am more than willing to turn it to green.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stanmillnc

What kind of premium do you guys charge for blue stain pine boards or slabs? Or do you just sell it for the same price as your normal SYP?

Thank You Sponsors!