iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging boots?

Started by gspren, February 03, 2012, 05:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have never had a pair of logging boots and I am not a logger, BUT I was told they have more ankle support than hunting boots so that would help with my arthritis in my ankles. If they do have better support how comfortable and practicle are they for everyday work around the farm including cutting firewood and just general walking around? Any brands to look at?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dan_Shade

I have 2 pairs of White's Boots, they are expensive, but very comfortable.  They do have good ankle support.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Corley5

I've never had a pair and I'm a logger  :)  I've shied away from them because they have a higher heel than most regular work boots.  Any foot wear I've had with too much heel led to turned ankles for me.  That's why I don't have any experience with them  ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

gspren

Quote from: Corley5 on February 03, 2012, 07:01:03 PM
I've never had a pair and I'm a logger  :)  I've shied away from them because they have a higher heel than most regular work boots.  Any foot wear I've had with too much heel led to turned ankles for me.  That's why I don't have any experience with them  ;D

I thought they came in different heel heights. Why do they have higher heels?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

shinnlinger

I have a pair of low heeled labonville chainsaw boots.....made in pa.  I like them very much but if ankle support is what you want I think smoke jumper boots are what you want.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shinnlinger

The clerk at labonville told Me the high heel boots were easier on the back but I'm 6'4" and didn't feel the need to be further from terra firma
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Magicman

Not "Logging Boots", but I have been very pleased with these steel toe Carhartt boots.  BOOTS  They are uninsulated and waterproof.  The leather is good, and no real break in was necessary.  They were about $100 from Sportsman's Guide.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lumberjack48

Once you put a pair of heals on boys you'll never go flat foot again. When i was in MT i  had to get a pair of caulks or hobnail boots [ Whites ] they were required by law when felling.

After that i wore nothing but a heeled logging boot, i even wore' m for dress. The wife had got me a nice pair of cowboy boots just before i got hurt, i think she was thing to tell me something. This is the style boot i wore, they had to be hard toes.

The best winter boot i found were LaCrosse's, the best foot support, with a small heel, and hard toes. I can't find a pic of the boots i bought. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

bill m

I wear Chippewa super logger boots. Waterproof, steel toe, great support and very comfortable. No break in required.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

KBforester

I can't wear logger boots with heals either (Chippewa) . I'm only in my twenties and my whole body suffers when I wear them.

I think it depends on the person. And the boot?

Trees are good.

Raider Bill

I bought a pair of Wesco boots for riding. Never paid much attention to the heel height till I started wearing them. Terrible pain discomfort and seemed to cause my ankle to twist. Had a cobbler take off 1/4 inch on  the heels and now perfect and comfortable.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

tyb525

I wear regular low heel work boots, usually 9". Usually steel toe. I can't wear cowboy boots or other high heel boots, they hurt my back and I can't walk near as good on rough ground.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom L

I am not a logger, I am in the custom steel fabrication business, so all day on concrete,
I bought a set of Whites boots last year and I am very pleased with them, I have had some problems with my feet over the years and some old injuries to my ankles, these boots have actually helped my feet, they have a lot of ankle support and the boots fit like a glove.
the height of the heal looks tall, but actually measured next to my old boots only gained a 1/4"
so not that much taller.
one neat thing with these is when you are standing up, your heels fit into a pocket on the back of the boot, and your toes and ball of your foot are almost off the ground. keeps a lot of pressure off of your feet.
they were expensive, took a month to break in, but now they are good to go.
one thing I feel that these are really made to work in the dirt. I am already noticing some wear in the heel from walking in the plant all day.

good luck

lumberjack48

The best way to break in a new pair of boots is stand in the bath tub on till there wet. Then ware on till there dry, you'll have the best fitting boots you've ever had. An ole Finn told me this when i was 15 yrs old.

You don't have to buy Whites, any good logger boot the same style.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

I wear Viking logger boots with caulked soles. Can't wear regular work boots in our woods, just about wears a man out especially in our softwood ground. Walking on spruce roots all day is some tough on the feet and knees.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dodgerd6b

I've had several pairs of Wesco's over the years. Had them rebuilt several times until I got a new pair made to my custom specifications. they are a little pricey but they do hold up well
1969 TreeFarmer c6cd, Caterpillar D6B 44a, Woodmizer 40

Raider Bill

Quote from: dodgerd6b on February 07, 2012, 02:07:10 PM
I've had several pairs of Wesco's over the years. Had them rebuilt several times until I got a new pair made to my custom specifications. they are a little pricey but they do hold up well

I only wear mine when riding really. I'm replacing a old well worn-in pair of Red-wings. The Wescos are without a doubt the best made pair of shoe or boots I've ever seen but a bit pricey. Mine were custom made too. They will completely take the place of my Wings when totally broke in.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!