iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood stove placement opinion

Started by Ginger Squirrel, December 28, 2023, 08:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

Not sure about your setup but where our single wall pipe goes into the thimble through the wall there is a trim ring (round) that slides over the horizontal stove pipe then when stove pipe is secured outside and your inside pipe is fitted properly. You may be missing this part or your system is completely different..

Ginger Squirrel

I ended up finding that trim piece.  But for my setup the stove pipe never goes outside, the insulated pipe comes inside through the wall, so the trim is mostly just decorative to hide the actual insulation.

The only part I'm not 100% sure about is the way the double wall stove pipe is made, the very end of it that goes into the wall is single wall, so there is a small section of it that is single wall and that does not feel right as that whole area is probably going to get very hot.  Going to leave all this dry fitted for now and have the chimney installer look it over for a second opinion.  This is probably the sort of thing that's easier to see in person.   I'm hoping he gets back to me soon... he insisted that he has not forgotten about me and is just busy with a big job at the mine, so I'll wait and see.  I just want this before summer lol. 

doc henderson

the joints of the double wall are like single wall, but one inside of the other is kind of like double wall.  there should be an airspace between the two walls.  The telescoping sections of double wall are really interesting.  It keeps the inside wall hotter and the outside cooler.  safer if you bump into it, and less condensation of water and smoke on the inside (from cooilng) and that is creosote.  so, you have good stuff it appears.  have you been around a lot of wood stoves?  there is a learning curve in general and also for each stove. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

plantita

I'm sure the installer will be able to advise once they take a look. In the meantime, don't stress too much - it seems like you've got the important safety bases covered for now. These things can take time to finesse. Hope the installer gets back to you soon so you can get that first test fire happening!

Ginger Squirrel

Good to know about the joints, it looks like I do have the right thing then.   I'm honestly not that familiar with wood stoves actually, it will be my first time actually using one so there will be a learning curve I'm sure and this whole install I was learning as I go. Was even my first time doing tiles.  I have a general idea how they work and such but never actually used one.

I'm looking forward to doing the break in fires and actually getting it going.  So far it has not been that cold of a winter so hopefully there is some warm days left where the contractor decides to come do the chimney. 

Meanwhile I think I'll just keep working on indoor stuff as there is still a lot of misc stuff to finish up in the general area such as finishing the server room drywall and sealing it off from the wood stove area. 

beenthere

How long (months) has your wood supply been cut and split and seasoned?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ginger Squirrel

Cutting it close probably since the bulk of it I got this summer so maybe 6ish months.  I did buy a face cord of "dry" wood to get me started but it was around 30% moisture when I tested it. Although it had been sitting outside so maybe it was still dry and just showing as wet from the rain. Some even has some gray.  I split everything very small in summer so it seasons faster.  I moved that inside about a month ago, right now it's testing at under 5-6% on the surface if I stick the probes deep enough, the actual surface, even the ends, don't give a reading. So guess it's very dry but I'll want to split some of that in half to test the inside.

I have some cedar from hedges I cut down several years ago as well that's sitting outside along with some poplar I got for free this summer. The poplar was testing around 25% last I checked in fall so that might still be a little too wet but I might bring some indoors to see if it dries before I'm done the existing pile. We hardly have any snow this year so I could actually make it to my off grid property to get more wood too if I need any.

Next summer I want to organize myself better for that too so I can start a rotation. I plan to add a flat solar panel array next to my shed that will sit on poles and I'll use that as an area to store firewood too.  Might look at building a kiln at some point too as I do eventually want to setup a saw mill as well so the kiln will come in handy for that too. Lot of projects I want to do, not enough money and time lol.

I also got a response from Selkirk about my concern with the way the inside pipe is formed and they say it's not a concern.  I sent them the picture as well.

From our tech..

No, that is not a problem.   It is part of our process used in forming the horizontal bird eye mouth for the interior portion of the tee.  When the system is fired up the stainless steel inner wall expands and contracts when it cools down.  This is required so the inner liner does not buckle when the system is in operation under high temperatures.

doc henderson

Better hurry before winter is over. :) watch some you tube stuff on finishing drywall and tile.  I respect your enthusiasm.  A little mentoring would help and make things easier for you.  YouTube may be a sub. if you do not have folks with knowledge and experience to show you.  How old are you and what part of the country if you do not mind.  It will help me at least provide answers more geared towards your goals.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ginger Squirrel

I get lot of my info from Youtube, forums etc. Most of what I know I learn by trial and error and internet.   I've done drywall before already, I did my whole crawlspace and even painted. I'm one of those weird people that actually enjoy that part.  :D

I'm 37 and in northern Ontario.

JD Guy

Quote from: Ginger Squirrel on January 08, 2024, 10:02:53 PM
I ended up finding that trim piece.  But for my setup the stove pipe never goes outside, the insulated pipe comes inside through the wall, so the trim is mostly just decorative to hide the actual insulation.

That's good to hear. Our installs are the same then. We both transition to double wall at the thimble.

Continued success on your project  :)

Thank You Sponsors!