iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It may be the end, it may be a new beginning.

Started by Engineer, February 22, 2010, 07:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Today I sawed my last board.   :'(

Saturday a family, from a couple hours north of me, bought my Woodmizer mill.  I was given a good-faith deposit and a promise to return within a couple weeks to pick it up, I had a few logs left to saw so it benefited both of us.  Today I sawed about 220 board feet of red oak, which was a first for me - I had never had an oak log on my mill before.  Also sawed up about 100 board feet of 5/4 cherry, which was the payment for sawing the oak.  This week I'll be cleaning up the mill, gathering parts, blades and instructions, and doing a little cleaning and maintenance to get the ol' pumpkin ready for its new home.

There's always a good bit of regret in getting rid of anything you've had for a while.  This was no different, especially since I had it running really well and cutting smoothly.   In my case, though, this may have been the last lumber I ever mill.  I don't foresee a new (to me) sawmill in my future, especially with the way finances are.  I could certainly never justify one for hobby use.  I bought this mill with the intent to use it for building a timber frame home, and I did, and sawed a fair amount of lumber for the future, and I appear to be done.   

So I'm gonna sit back, pay my mortgage, cry in my cheap beer, and hope that maybe someday, I can try and make a go of milling as a part- or full-time business venture.   I would have never gotten this far, and I say this with all honesty, I would have given this up not long after I started if it wasn't for the people here on The Forestry Forum.  I hope the new owner of my mill joins up; he and his family seem to be good people and they could use the advice.   I'll stick around, y'all but no longer as a sawmill owner.  Cheers.  ;)

pesaventoc

EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

Jeff

This is going to sound like a mighty empty offer for obvious logistical reasons, but honestly you can come and run mine any time you like.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POC

On a somewhat related note...
I recently sold the trucks that introduced me and my wife.
We met on an internet site, not much different than this, but about ZR2 offroad trucks.
We both had one, and therefore, met on the site.

Engineer-I share your pain, it was difficult to see the trucks go.
Good luck to you in all you do.  Anyone who builds their own house has
what it takes to make it through anything.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

bandmiller2

Sorry to hear that engineer, but don't underestimate the hold sawdust and milling has on a fella.  Its always better the second time around.You can still hang out with us here.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Quote from: Engineer on February 22, 2010, 07:19:45 PM
Today I sawed my last board.   :'(  

Decisions are what controls our lives....If you are happy, that's all that matters.  Good luck.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I second what Jeff said you can come cut some 40' timbers with me anytime.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Engineer, I have gone through that sort of separation several times.  It's never easy.  But don't forget it's just stuff, they make it every day.  I am not trying to diminish the loss you feel, but your family is more important than anything.  You can never replace them. 

And since I am pontificating, seems like if an ole Mississippi redneck like myself can build a big ugly mill that cuts wood fairly well, then an Engineer should be able to build a jam up sawmill. ;) 8) 8)

We'll see you tomorrow, okay ;) ;D 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Coon

You'll get another mill..... remember that sawdust is in your blood for life there's no escapin' it.  ;)   The economy will eventually turn around and it will then again be a feasable venture for you to persue.  At this point all you need is to find the genie in the bottle like most of us here.... just remember to check each and every bottle you come across.  :D There's bound to be one somewhere.  ;D 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Don K

A decision that was made with good judgement and sound logic, but don't forget, the sun will rise tomorrow and new adventures are right around the corner. Glad your hanging around. :)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DanG

Finances and decisions tend to change over time.  You may get another mill and you may not, but I'm betting you can if you want one.  Sawdust can get into your blood, but THE Forestry Forum gets into your soul. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

POC

I know I'm a new guy.  But the comradre shown here is amazing.

Hats off to all of you.  smiley_clapping
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Jasperfield

Your end of sawing is your new beginning.
As was with Job; The ending is better than the beginning.

Chuck White

Quote from: DanG on February 22, 2010, 11:11:10 PM
Finances and decisions tend to change over time.  You may get another mill and you may not, but I'm betting you can if you want one.  Sawdust can get into your blood, but THE Forestry Forum gets into your soul. ;)

I absolutely agree with DanG, especially the part where FF gets into your soul.

You may not have a mill, Engineer, but you will still have the Forestry Forum.

No one knows what really lies in our futures!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

At least you can say you have done it.Owned a sawmill and built a timber frame house.Don't have to wonder about any "what ifs". You can sit inside the house that you built and sawed out on your mill and cry in your cheap beer all you want.You earned it.Not many can say that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

I know how you feel I went through loosing alot of gear when we had to close the  log building business my parents and i had back in 01 due to the collapse of the bulding insurance industy in aust at the time and Like James said Family is more important than anything. You can never replace them  ;)  Its hard to let go of things but remember that you can allways recoupe after the tight times are over and Pick yourself up and dust yourself up on a New Mill Mate   ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

I think your in too deep now and once your back Ontop  ;) the itch will start and you will just have to scratch it Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Like Cfarm said there aint many people who can say ive cut every stick and build my own home and thats somthing to be Dang Proud Of Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Ill add to Customs and Jeffs offer if you ever wanna sawdust holiday  ;) and if you where closer id  loan you one of mine so you cold get your fix Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Cedarman

Not much I can add to what others have said.  I hope you can sell a load of firewood once in awhile to upgrade the beer. (Unless you are drinking your preferred beer) :D :D
Good luck in your endeavors and keep coming around.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WH_Conley

With your experience with that mill and the forum to keep abreast of the improvements, I wonder what mill you will buy the next time. From what I have seen here over the years more people buy back in than stay out. No doubt you will be starting a new thread some day that says "I'm Back".
Bill

ErikC

I am one of those doubters who thinks you will have another one sooner or later :D It was too much fun and you won't be able to stay away.  ;D  I hope you get a little relief in the financial department either way though, and stick around the FF whether or not you're still sawing.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ForestMan

I just bought my first mill last week.  I'm hoping to do what you did.  In fact, we purchased plans for a timber frame home last week as well.  I'm hoping to follow in your footsteps. 

Hang in there.  The Lord is good.  May he watch over you and your family through the tough times so that you can appreciate the good times when they come around again.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

OneWithWood

Engineer, it sounds like a plan that came together.  Buy mill, build house, sell mill, recoup investment, buy better beer.   :)

On to the next plan . . .
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jdtuttle

Engineer, I'm with Jeff & Customsawyer, you can come saw on my mill anytime. I'm a little closer to you than they are too. Some things are harder to part with than others. Especially tools. Stick around you have always offered sound advice here.
jim
Have a great day

old joe

Life has a way of messing with us all.  You set a goal and reached it!  Whether you get a new mill eventually or not, you ARE a success.  The only constant is change, and while you are down now, this too will change.  Hang in there.

Joe
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

taschmidretired

I remember a customer in particular who contacted me asking what his used mill (yes it was a T A Schmid) would be worth since he was regretfully looking to sell it.  When he told me the reason why I knew there was no way that I would want to talk him out of it. His wife was complaining that she barely saw him anymore! She said things like, "I think you love that dang saw more than me"! . Anyway about a year or so later he contacted me again inquiring about purchasing a new mill.  It seems his wife quickly became tired of him hanging around the house every evening drinking beer and watching TV !  Yes I too have seen a lot of repeat buyers.  Are there any pic's of the home you built?
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

kevinlt15

Engineer,

I lift my coffee cup high to you and this difficult choice. These times truly show what A man is made of, and you my friend are made of true grit. ;D :'(

stay positive @ look to the future
                                                                           Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!