iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A good beginning

Started by woodman58, May 04, 2015, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

Hello All,
  I would just like to share my results of how my beginning is going with my new TK 1400. I have been posting adds on CL and putting fliers in local feed and farm stores. I have had a few people bring me a few logs at a time and had many calls for mobile sawing. I have got a portable job set for next weekend. About 1500 BF. The following two weekends, I have a job set that has 3500BF. This past weekend I looked at a job where a guy is clearing his 150 acres of land. He said that I can set up and start cutting when I get done with my other two jobs. He then said that I can just leave my mill on site or bring it every weekend because he will be cutting all summer. It looks like I will be busy all summer. I will be cutting some cedar at $65 per hour and the rest is oak and some hickory @ .30 per BF. Thanks to every on here who has posted in the past. It has helped me with pricing and knowing how to talk to potential customers. Hope all this works out.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

4x4American

Glad to hear it good luck!   8)
Boy, back in my day..

shakebone

Good luck but watch cutting that hickory so cheap it'll make you and your saw cry !! It will destroy your blades  :'(
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

4x4American

4° blades for the hickory?
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Very often one satisfied customer leads to another.  Your reputation will become your greatest asset.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodman58

Thanks everybody. I am looking forward to all the sawing. I have been sawing walnut and cherry for a couple of weeks. I plan on retiring to saw full time in two years.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

sandsawmill14

sounds like your off to a good start smiley_thumbsup  good luck with the hickory I send almost all hickory to cirlce mill  I have sawn it with my timberking b 20 but it takes a lot of blades :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

GAB

Hickory is one of those trees that the bark seems to act like a magnet to any dirt in the air.  Using a new or ReSharp blade on a hickory log once I was able to get three cuts before having to change blade.
I learned that to saw hickory you need to open the log and take a board or two, then rotate 180 degrees and do the same, then rotate 90 degrees then saw boards without having to saw through any more bark.
Hickory bark is a real blade killer for me.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: GAB on May 06, 2015, 08:50:00 PM
Hickory is one of those trees that the bark seems to act like a magnet to any dirt in the air.  Using a new or ReSharp blade on a hickory log once I was able to get three cuts before having to change blade.
I learned that to saw hickory you need to open the log and take a board or two, then rotate 180 degrees and do the same, then rotate 90 degrees then saw boards without having to saw through any more bark.
Hickory bark is a real blade killer for me.
Gerald

yep its almost like sawing backstops or dogs :D :D  >:(

Magicman

The iron might be softer than the Hickory.   ;D  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 09:18:57 AM
The iron might be softer than the Hickory.   ;D  :D
x2 :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!