iDRY Vacuum Kilns

More computer tips (Windows)

Started by DouginUtah, October 10, 2005, 05:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

Three tips that make my use of the computer easier:
==
A way to save something with a cut and paste. This gives you a place to paste the cut. Quick and easy, by just moving the mouse.
http://www.quicknote.de/quicknen.html
A little tricky to set up but worth it. Hint: Use T and save it as Quicknotes1.txt. (I'm using Quicknotes to compose this message.) [Free]
==
I like to keep the forum window open on my task bar. But if I open another window, it opens in my forum window. To avoid this--and have a new window open. as when you click a desktop shortcut, try:
Internet Explorer (6) | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab | Under Browsing, go down to the seventeenth item | Uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts".
==
For a quick and easy way to get answers download the program at:
www.answers.com
All you have to do is press the Alt key and click a word and a window comes up with the word meaning, or place or person. A bit like Google but faster and easier. [Free]
==

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

An easier fix for browser windows that steal your window is simply to open a new window hitting "control and N". This opens a cloned window of the one you are using and you can go either direction with it. On to a new place or back, and still have the current window you were using open.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

In firefox use 'Ctrl-T' and it opens a new tab instead of loading another instance of the program. You can set the opening of a new window as a tab instead of another instance of the program when you click on an external link under Tools/Options....Tabbed Browsing.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

johnjbc

In internet Explorer if you right click on a link you will be given an option to "Open in a New Window"
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

DouginUtah

That's true, John, but it doesn't give you that option if you right-click on a shortcut on the desktop.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---