iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does it move?

Started by 54Dutchman, October 15, 2012, 10:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54Dutchman

I am planting and will be pruning some trees this coming spring.  The one question that comes up is how does a tree grow  - if a branch at the trunk is three feet off the ground will it always be three feet off the ground as the tree grows?  This may already be answered but I did not find it.   ??? ??? :P
On many posts there are comments of objects found in trees as they are being cut (like rocks) in crotches that are twenty feet off the ground - how did the rocks get there and when are the normall questions. :-\

WDH

Think about if you nail a fence to a tree.  After many years, the fence stays in the same place.  So the limb will stay the same distance from the ground forever. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Once a tree lays down new wood it pretty much stays in the same place. The pith at the base of a 4ft dia log is the same wood that grew when it was a sappling, how even many years ago.

The tree grows in height at the growing tip, and in girth at the layer between the wood and the bark. So you see each year's growth laid down in concentric rings.

As for the rocks in the top of trees? They got placed there. By who or what was the topic of the other thread...  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

54Dutchman

Thanks for the replies; just confirming what I have seen. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!