iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2014 LT40 Kohler issue, any ideas

Started by sawman, September 23, 2020, 06:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawman

We have 26 HP Kohler, it will run fine for 1/2 hour or so and the starts 
missing, falter and dies. 
We have changed spark plugs, air filters,fuellines and filter. 
It's is showing 3 codes on the indicator light they are 0230,0171,0174 which list multiple possibilities. 
It is EFI model. 
Short of finding a dealer that will work on it does anyone have other suggestions or has anyone had similar issues?
Thank you in advance 
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

WV Sawmiller

Try putting an in line ignition tester (About $4 each at HF) on each plug and see if it is just one side. I did that on mine and replaced the L (Drive side) coil yesterday. I need to run it some more today and see if that fixed it. Only acts up when warm. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Gere Flewelling

I have this same engine (I believe) on my mill.  I did have the exact same problem.  After replacing spark plugs and fuel filters several times, I found out from a local Kohler dealer that there was a parts quality issue with the oxygen sensor in the muffler.  There was an improved part available from Kohler.  I replaced that sensor and have not had any problems or codes since.  I purchased a spare sensor as they were hard to come by a year ago when I was having issues.  I will respond again later with the part number of that sensor as soon as I locate where I put it.  Hopefully this will help. GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

sawman

Going to try and pickup the in line testers tomorrow. 
I'll check into the oxygen sensor also, thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
Wallenstein FX85

sawman

Did you all get your parts from Woodmizer?
Wallenstein FX85

WV Sawmiller

If this is directed at me, no. I bought the coil from a local Kohler dealer. He happened to have it in stock - about $130. I ran mine 2.5 hours yesterday with no more engine problems so hopefully my engine issue is solved. Time will tell.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

@sawman  ,

Did you ever find what the engine problem was? Inquiring minds want to know. ;)
Howard Green

sawman

We changed the oxygen sensor.
It did ok for a while, then started cutting out again. We noticed the fuel filter looked like it had debris in it.
We changed it and so far it is doing fine.
Sorry for not updating sooner.

In this process we went through 4 fuel filters in the span over 2 weeks.
Wallenstein FX85

WV Sawmiller

Is the debris little pieces of black rubber? My fuel line was deteriorating and you could see the pieces floating in the filter. My new mechanic replaced the line and the filter and I have not seen anything else in the filter. 

I replaced the coil on the left side as I face the engine as I saw it was the one cutting out using the in line ignition tester. I have about 10-12  hours on the new coil with no more problems like I was getting before. Good luck. Keep us informed about what worked as well as what does not.
Howard Green

sawman

What we saw in the filter looked like particles of sawdust. 
We replaced the fuel line from tank to filter to fuel pump. 
So far it seems to be ok.
Wallenstein FX85

sawman

Late update, 
Off and on thru the summer the issues would come and go.
One of our customers got us in contact with a kohler dealers service man, and after about 45 minutes on the phone with him talking us thru some troubleshooting , determined that it was the high pressure fuel pump. Replaced that and it has been doing great so far.
Wallenstein FX85

ajsawyer

sawman

Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!